AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Targeting competitors brand keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have several huge national brand competitors. It was requested that I target a specific competitors brand.

The trial went really well. We had a great CTR and brilliant conversion rates. I obviously didn't use their brand in my ad, and as a result, the QS was low.

Now because that trial went so well, it has been requested that I now target the other brands. But my concern is the QS.

We have 10/10 right across all of our keywords, but this new adgroup has a 3/10 and no doubt the others will also have the same kind of result. How worried should I be about these lower QS keywords?

Any ideas?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Targeting competitors brand keywords

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hello Paul,

it is absolutely normal to have a bad QS when targeting your competitors brand keywords. You can target those keywords, but you have to prepare for a worse QS than you were used to. You have to pay extra to ''steal'' conversions from your competitors.

Alex

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Alex,

Would you be concerned with this lowering your overall QS?

I'm not worried so much about the adgroup itself, but I am a little concerned with the impact this might make on the account?

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Paul, it's been said that there is some sort of impact on the account as a whole. But from my experience I can say it is not that big at all. As long as it brings your profit I wouldn't mind deleting this campaign(s) targeting competitors.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Paul,

Yes your CTR will take a hit, no doubt about it and you can't do much about it as you cannot have the competitors name in the ad copy or landing page. Due to the low QS you will have to pay higher for your ads to show.

But if you are getting good number of conversions at your desired CPA, then you should not stress much on QS. At the end of the day, you are reaching out to users who are searching for your competitor themes thus solving two motives; Branding & lead generation

However, if the CPA is high then you might want to consider targeting selective performing competitor themes only.

Regards
Rohit Khanna

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi there @RealMaverick;

How come the competitor brand ad-group has that low QS? - is the CTR  for the competitor's brand names is low?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No. It's around 6%, which is pretty good considering. The issue is, the ad nor the landing page contains the brand name keyword.

It also maybe that the QS is still coming from historical data vs campaign data?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@RealMaverick;

Correct; QS predominant and major component is CTR. Al the other factors do play a role, but a minor one compared to CTR.

How many impressions did you get?

@Paul M wrote:
No. It's around 6%, which is pretty good considering. The issue is, the ad nor the landing page contains the brand name keyword.

It also maybe that the QS is still coming from historical data vs campaign data?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Paul M,

Appearance of the keyword in the ad or the landing page does not directly affect the QS. The major factor in QS is CTR. It's a comparative score. If your competitor gets a higher CTR, even though your CTR is good, you will likely get a lower QS.

Have you looked at the lost impression share due to ad rank? If not, add that column to the keywords tab. That should help figure out what's going on.

If your lost impressions share is low, your QS should improve as you accrue more impressions and performance data.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords