1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Targeting by Topics vs Placements

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am about to launch a campaign for the Display Network only.  However, I realized that targeting by topics limits my reach as supposed to just placement.  If I include all topics and target by placement, would Google honor my desired placements or will they also serve my ads to other irrelevant websites due to leaving the topics section broad? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Youpany T
September 2015

Re: Targeting by Topics vs Placements

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Google will only show your ads on the targeted placements. (regardless of the topics)
If you combine target options between placements and topics , Google will show your ad on the targeted placements that match the targeted topics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Ahmed.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

This depends on your targeting methods:

If you go by target and bid your ad will be shown only on placements which also match the topics (i.e placements listed under the topics you have selected - the AND condition applies)

If you go by bid only; ads will be shown either on placements selected OR topics. (the OR condition applies)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks MosheTLV