6.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Targeting Mobile Users?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, im running into a problem with targeting Mobile users who don't allow google to find their location.

I run an adwords campaign for a business that covers 5 states. So I have to specifically target those states, as opposed to targeting the entire united states.

The problem I'm running into, is with specific location targeting if the user doesn't allow Google to find their location or isn't placed in the area my ads are targeting. Then my ads don't show up at all.

Has anyone found a work around for this? Would it be worth it to just target the entire United States?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Targeting Mobile Users?

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee

Hi Everyone,

Great to see some interest in targeting mobile users!

The following HC article is well worth checking out on how we determine the locations of mobile users. Most specifically in reference to @nauds3000 particular situation: "Location-specific terms will take precedence over other factors when determining where to show your geographically-targeted ad."

Tom

View solution in original post

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hmm... I don't see how expanding to the entire US would solve this particular issue. 

When I turn location services off for my android, I still have the option to select a location. I would assume someone who sets their phone in such a manner, still has some way to search for local or location based results, even though their particular location is not being tracked. In or near Portland, Or. vs. MLK between Burnside and Morrison Portland, Or., for example.

Location targeting even for desktops is not, and probably never will be absolutely "perfect". Especially when it comes to mobile devices, mobile device carriers, and operating systems. Smiley Happy

What data are you seeing (or not), or what other factors are indicating that the overall problem you are having is because of mobile users without location tracking enabled? Are you not accruing impressions? Do you not see your own ad, and know that you don't have location tracking enabled? Whatever the bigger problem is, I don't think the non-location tracking users issue gets solved, for the users in your target market, by targeting the entire US.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom, the problem I'm having is when someone doesn't type a location based keyword along with my main keywords then my ads don't show up at all for someone who hasn't allowed google to find their cell location.

As an example, if someone types "Plumbing" my ads don't show up, but if someone types "Plumbing Los Angeles" my ads do show up.

I've tested this on multiple Iphone 4's. When I don't allow google to find my location I get defaulted to US based ads. When I do allow my location to be found my ads show up properly.

But the majority of users don't know how to allow location to be found, or don't allow google to find them at all.

I'm getting very low impressions on fairly big keywords.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

When you tested this, did you test for both the generic plumbing, and the more specific plumbing Los Angeles, with both location tracking on and off?

I'm certainly not in the majority generally speaking, but I can't figure out for sure how to trun my location targeting off, and still use all the features of my android. Maybe (I would assume, absolutely) it's different for iPhones, and Iphone user behaviour is certainly different than android user behaviour. But, I think that's all secondary to the adrank and competition aspects of these two terms.

If your adrank for the term plumbing is too low to show an ad on the first page, you won't see an ad on the first page. There's a lot less mobile SERP real estate than desktop results usually, and the competition could be much higher for the more generic term.

You may get a higher QS for the local term, and with the same bid, could earn a high enough adrank to show an ad on the first page.

If you select "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location (recommended)" in your advanced settings - Then even if a user has location tracking disabled and searches for plumbing los angeles, you could be eligible to show them an ad (regardless of location, or lack of location data) if your adrank is high enough.

So, the question is - Which of those two terms generates the most revenue? If it's plumbing, and you can't get your ads to show on the first page results for your mobile targeted campaign, then I would:

Create a new campaign with only one adgroup, and only the exact match plumbing as the only keyword in that campaign/adgroup. Then select your location, device, etc. settings, make sure your ads are "approved" and you have accrued some impressions. Then use the keyword diagnosis, and ad preview tools to verify wherether or not your ads are showing to users in your targeted area. If so, try to get 100% of the available impression share for both budget and rank (exact match only). If you still cannot see your ad live, without location tracking enabled on mobile devices, but you can when you enable location tracking, then try expanding your targeted area until you can see your ad with location targeting off, for that specific exact match term. Try using an ad specific to only that campaign, so when you do see an ad, you can verify the campaign the ad is being shown for is the right campaign, and the right ad/KW.

Tom

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Have you checked the IP of where your phone is located? Go to whatismyip.com from your phone, and ceck where that matces up to. Google uses IP as amajor determinant of location.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello

Adding to Tom and David's feed backs, the ads are targeted primarily using the physical location of the user devices for which the IP has the dominant role.

When you are targeting a few US states as opposed to the entire country,the IP of the user devices in your targeted geographies would come into play.

When you say that you checked the results on multiple smartphones, like David mentioned, check the device IP..If you are using a carrier enabled access then the device would have a carrier IP which can be hosted on a server outside the regions you are targeting and thus you would not view your ads.

Did you try the experiment with a wifi access on the smart phone? It would be interesting to know...

Re: Targeting Mobile Users

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello nauds3000 ; Tom Jr; Mudit and David;

Targeting physical location on mobile using 3G is not an easy task: We discussed that two months ago in this discussion: Location & call Extensions on Mobiles;

3G cellular providers do assign IP address for 3G mobile service,

A practice known as NAT is, occasionally ,carried out, to save allocation of IP addresses. If utilized, a mobile user would be identified, when accessing the internet (through his mobile device), by cookies or OpenID.

I have found you a discussion on that in superuser website.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
@MosheTLV - thanks for the insight. (My phone has an IP address located 1,000 miles away from me sometimes, which is why I mentioned checking the IP. My assumption is that Google is seeing @nauds3000's smartphones IP somewhere else. There may be some room to play simply by identifying that IP, and seeing where it matches up to. Chances are, those IP's are shared with multiple other users, and that targeting that area will get many IP's not identified as being local.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Nuads3000

Coming again to the discussed issue, hope the 5 states which you are targeting don't have "Limited reach"..Though it would be rare but still want to know..

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee

Hi Everyone,

Great to see some interest in targeting mobile users!

The following HC article is well worth checking out on how we determine the locations of mobile users. Most specifically in reference to @nauds3000 particular situation: "Location-specific terms will take precedence over other factors when determining where to show your geographically-targeted ad."

Tom