AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Targeting Long tail Keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

I'm trying to use long-tail variations of my existing keywords, which are generally short tail, 1-3 words.

For instance, I am targeting the keyword "generator". To reach out to the more specific searches, I also want to target "20 kVA generator", "50 kVA generator", "100 kVA generator", etc.

How do I target these long tail phrases, without them competing against my short tail keyword ("generator")?

Jordan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jordan I
July 2017

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I think with Phrase and Broad Modifier you'd definitely find more variations of that one keyword, but you also might end up spending more, since there'd be more searches. But with the Exact keywords you could control a bit more the spend and the traffic would be more qualified. I mean, this is something not set in stone at all, it's only an idea and suggestion, so if there's anyone else with a different approach, please do share!

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jordan,

You could start by having those long term keywords as Exact, monitoring them regularly for their performance...

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks @Daniel V.

Is exact match the best option I have? Or would it be worthwhile to try phrase or modified broad match as well (or instead)?

I'd appreciate advice anyone could give.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jordan I
July 2017

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I think with Phrase and Broad Modifier you'd definitely find more variations of that one keyword, but you also might end up spending more, since there'd be more searches. But with the Exact keywords you could control a bit more the spend and the traffic would be more qualified. I mean, this is something not set in stone at all, it's only an idea and suggestion, so if there's anyone else with a different approach, please do share!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Jordan I

If you want to target specific searches for your keywords and also dont want to compete with your main keyword then you should use keywords in below formats:

+generator

[20 kva generator]

[50 kva generator]

[100 kva generator]

Also you have to increase little bit bid of Exact Match keywords (In your terms - Long Tail Phrases).

Hope this will help.

Thanks,

Aslam