Guide Me
star_border

Targeting Locations AND search queries at the same time

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I think this could be an interesting question:

Let's say I'm managing an adwords account for a shipping company in Qatar. The account includes  two campaigns: 'international shipments' and 'shipments from Qatar'. Both target the country of Qatar.

What I'd like to accomplish: I would to separate the search queries that include the word 'Qatar' from the ones that don't. The ones that contain 'Qatar' should be targeted by the 'shipments from Qatar' campaign and the ones that do not should be targeted by the 'international shipments' campaign.

The latter is easy: in the advanced location settings I've chosen to only target people inside my targeted location (and not people searching for it).

But if I want to target the people (inside Qatar) that have also included 'Qatar' in their search query, there's an issue. Because there's no advanced location option that allows me to target people that are located in my target location AND have included the location in their query. I can only target people that are located in my target location OR have included the location in their query (which also includes a lot of people looking to ship TO qatar; people outside my target group).

I can think of two solutions:

1- For the 'shipping from Qatar' campaign, I can target people who are inside my target location OR have included the location in their query, and then add every country in the world (except for Qatar) as an excluded location.

2- OR, in the 'shipping from Qatar' campaign, I can to only target people inside my targeted location, and add 'Qatar' to every keyword in the 'shipping from Qatar' campaign.

Which of there would work best?

Is there a better solution I haven't thought of?

Thank you all,

Reinout.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rynout
September 2015

Re: Targeting Locations AND search queries at the same time

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Reinout K,

"The ones that contain 'Qatar' should be targeted by the 'shipments from Qatar' campaign and the ones that do not should be targeted by the 'international shipments' campaign."

1) The second setup to receive only queries that do not contain Quatar cannot be done simply by selecting to target "People in your targeted location" unless you also exclude the keyword "quatar" at the campaign level.

If you do not use that negative keyword a query from a person located in Quatar searching for "service in Quatar" will be allowed. 

What you are avoiding with the selection of  "People in your targeted location" are clicks from outside the city of Quatar , when the query has the word Quatar in it such as somebody from USA searching for "service in Quatar".

2) The first setup to find only queries that contain Quatar, indeed all your keywords have to contain the word Quatar and to be at least in the broad match modified match type not simple broad.

You can't manipulate the "Locations options" to restrict queries to include a city name.

If you use the option " People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location (default)" as targeting , you also allow queries that do not contain Quatar even if you exclude all the countries.

Whatever scenario you setup, test it with some search terms in the Ad Preview tool to find out if it works or not. In there you can select even another location as if you perform a search from another city.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Reinout,

So if I understand this correctly, you pretty much do not want to hit any queries from people looking to ship items TO Qatar, only FROM Qatar?

Instead of complicated and seemingly convoluted target locations have you considered just making "to Qatar" Phrase match a negative? This way eliminating anyone who wishes to ship to Qatar. This way you may still hit potential clients that want to ship from Qatar but are searching for say family members and are not in Qatar themselves?

This would require extensive Search query reports in the beginning, but overall will give you a much more usable and optimised campaign without losing out on possible conversions through heavy restrictions.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I would certainly look to use BMM +Qatar and negative combinations alongside the geo targeting
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rynout
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Reinout K,

"The ones that contain 'Qatar' should be targeted by the 'shipments from Qatar' campaign and the ones that do not should be targeted by the 'international shipments' campaign."

1) The second setup to receive only queries that do not contain Quatar cannot be done simply by selecting to target "People in your targeted location" unless you also exclude the keyword "quatar" at the campaign level.

If you do not use that negative keyword a query from a person located in Quatar searching for "service in Quatar" will be allowed. 

What you are avoiding with the selection of  "People in your targeted location" are clicks from outside the city of Quatar , when the query has the word Quatar in it such as somebody from USA searching for "service in Quatar".

2) The first setup to find only queries that contain Quatar, indeed all your keywords have to contain the word Quatar and to be at least in the broad match modified match type not simple broad.

You can't manipulate the "Locations options" to restrict queries to include a city name.

If you use the option " People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location (default)" as targeting , you also allow queries that do not contain Quatar even if you exclude all the countries.

Whatever scenario you setup, test it with some search terms in the Ad Preview tool to find out if it works or not. In there you can select even another location as if you perform a search from another city.