2.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Target specific cities and geo-exclude all other cities

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I own a service where it very likely the only people to book are going to be in my specific city. I am attempting to target a specific city, and only show to people located 15 miles away from that city. I have bmm terms, so that's why I want the targeting to stay on so they don't show for "shoe care Daytona" when I really want "shoe care Austin"

I thought the best way would be to upload a excel sheet excluding all other areas of the world except the zips for that city. This can't be the best way as I have to do this for many cities. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Re: Target specific cities and geo-exclude all other cities

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Charlie H

For my local campaigns, I've found that county level targeting is a good way to include those areas outside city limits that are still within a reasonable distance.  You might want to check and see if that will work for you.

Excluding the rest of the world seems a bit extreme.  There are certain scenarios like mobile, corporate networks, and VPNs where people located in your city will be using an IP address that is not.  If you are sponsoring +shoe +care +austin, then your ad should not trigger for people in your area querying "shoe care daytona."  

You may want to consider a campaign that uses the city/area in the keyword that is set to the default "People in, searching for, or who show interest...," and then another campaign that does not use city/area keywords that uses the setting "People in my targeted location."  If your service is so location dependent, it would seem that queries not related to your area that are generated from your area would be low.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I had +shoe +care and +shoe +care +austin. Do you think it would be wise to delete the first one?

I was getting clicks from people in Alabama/Canada. My type of product if they're not in the city they're unlikely to buy. I was thinking the cost of potentially advertising to someone outside my service area would be higher than potentially missing a user that was using a vpn. Also it is location dependent (for me). These are in every city too so if you were in Alabama there's thousands of people searching for shoe care Alabama

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello @Charlie_H,

Here is a tool we use extensively for small businesses that service a set radius and want to include cities or zip codes in their keywords / search terms: http://www.localmarketingsource.com/local-keyword-research-tool/

This tool will allow you to pick a radius mileage around a zip code and it will add any geographical level keywords you want to the account keywords.

Let me know if that helps!

nick

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
HI Charlie,

If you delete the first one, likely chances are that your user will drop,
the second keyword +shoe +care +austin will give you more relevant traffic,but with this the traffic would be less but more likely to convert.

Regards,
Manish