5.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Target search ads by house income

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Did I come late to the party on this one? I just found out that you can do geo targeting based on household income tiers in search and display campaigns. When did this happen?

This would be perfect to do a bid modifier for luxury products/services and/or go after more generic KWs because you have more targeted audience.

See section "How to target a location by demographics (currently average household income only)

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722043?hl=en

Capture.PNG

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Target search ads by house income

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Joe,

Thanks for sharing geo targeting based on house income feature with the community. In fact, Adrian was kind enough to post this same topic last week on this thread: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Location-groups-targeting-by-average-house...

If you, Adrian or anyone from the community has an example of a real world campaign running this feature, please feel free to share it with the community!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Give this some time and my browsing experience could be practically ad free ;-)

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
It doesn't appear this data passes to the AdWords Editor. Has anyone found a way to modify these quickly?

I already modify my bid by state. Because location targeting does not stack, I would have to create the following targets in order to both have the income data and also continue to bid by state.

50 States * 6 Income Tiers = 300
1 National Catch-All * 6 Income Tiers = 6
50 State Catch-Alls = 50
1 National Catchall = 1
Total = 357 Targets.

These targets can't be modified in the AdWords Desktop nor can they be copied using the copy and paste feature in the online AdWords interface. Any ideas for quicker application than one-by-one?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Just wanted to know whether this feature is only useful for US based marketing or other countries can also take advantage of it.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Mansoor,

You have the option to target locations by their approximate average household income. This feature is currently available for U.S. locations only.

Best,
Lakatos

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm not sure whether it's better to respond to this thread (given that it's active), or start a new one, but I'm going to ask here since my question is relevant to this existing thread:

I have a campaign selling a branded product, and I currently use a single target Location of "United States" with no bid modifiers.  If I want to add a bid modifier based on income to that same campaign so that I would:

1. Continue showing its ads to everyone in the United States regardless of income demographic, and
  2. ALSO increase my bids 50% for users in the top 10% income demographic.

Would I add to that same campaign a second target Location of "Average household income, top 10% (US) within the United States" and assign that new target Location the +50% bid modifier, like this:

http://www.clipular.com/c/5011696384475136.png?k=jiELKIsVDr0oSetA07sazMBtMFA

(It won't let me embed my screenshot.)

Thank you.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Trent,

Positive, chances are that's your best option.

Best,
Lakatos