AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Target and bid vs Bid only - Remarketing?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am really having hard time understanding this option in my remarketing  campaign.

Please someone suggest me right bidding option for remarketing.

I have campaign running for re marketing with the option set to Target and bid.

Is it right way or I need to change it.

Even I am on the remarketing list I can't see my own ads when I visit to others websites.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mansoor S
September 2015

Re: Target and bid vs Bid only - Remarketing?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Mansoor,

I agree with Siva & Maxime here. 'Target and Bid' is always the right option to choose when you have just form of targeting in a campaign targeting the Display Network.

To make things a bit more easier to understand I will try my best to explain the two options to you. 'Target & Bid' setting on a campaign tells AdWords that you have a single targeting method being used in the campaign which in your case is the Remarketing list, in other campaigns it could be Keywords or Interests or Topics, etc. With this targeting you wish to target all placements that are closely relevant to your theme (as per the targeting adopted).
In your case, AdWords will use the Remarketing list in your campaign to narrow down the users who belong to the list and will target them across the Display network. This is why in normal remarketing campaign, you cannot control where you show your ads to your users because the targeting is such that it will follow the user around on the Display Network to show them your ads. The only measure of control you will have here is that you are allowed to set bids for individual targeting here which in your case would again be 'Remarketing'.

Now for 'Bid Only'. This particular bid setting can be used when you use layering in your targeting. For example, if you wish to use 'Keywords' as your primary targeting and want to use an 'Interest' or 'Topic' as a layer to narrow down your targeting. In this case, you need to set 'Target & Bid' setting at the keyword level and then 'Bid Only' on the 'Interest' or 'Topic' level. This tells AdWords that, use the keywords as the base to narrow down the relevant placements on the Display Network and then use the bid set at the 'Interest' or 'Topic' to target relevant users. This will help you reach out to the most relevant of audiences on the most relevant of placements.

You can read more about it here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6056342?hl=en&rd=1

Also, give this video a look and it may help you clear things up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfWMfzs1hR4

The video is a bit old but still holds relevance.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

Warning: AdWords interface instructions or screenshots in this thread may be out of date as we move to the new AdWords experience.

LEARN MORE

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Mansoor,

Yes, it is the right bidding option. As far you receive impressions and clicks from your remarketing campaigns everything is perfectly fine.

Siva.

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
I agree, it is the right option for you ("Bid Only" is only when you are using another targeting method and you just want to "overlay" remarketing for adjust bids up or down).

As for seeing your own ads, I'd say look at your campaign stats: if you're seeing impressions, then it is serving. If not, then something might be wrong in your setup, maybe you don't have enough users in your list (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472738?hl=en)?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mansoor S
September 2015

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Mansoor,

I agree with Siva & Maxime here. 'Target and Bid' is always the right option to choose when you have just form of targeting in a campaign targeting the Display Network.

To make things a bit more easier to understand I will try my best to explain the two options to you. 'Target & Bid' setting on a campaign tells AdWords that you have a single targeting method being used in the campaign which in your case is the Remarketing list, in other campaigns it could be Keywords or Interests or Topics, etc. With this targeting you wish to target all placements that are closely relevant to your theme (as per the targeting adopted).
In your case, AdWords will use the Remarketing list in your campaign to narrow down the users who belong to the list and will target them across the Display network. This is why in normal remarketing campaign, you cannot control where you show your ads to your users because the targeting is such that it will follow the user around on the Display Network to show them your ads. The only measure of control you will have here is that you are allowed to set bids for individual targeting here which in your case would again be 'Remarketing'.

Now for 'Bid Only'. This particular bid setting can be used when you use layering in your targeting. For example, if you wish to use 'Keywords' as your primary targeting and want to use an 'Interest' or 'Topic' as a layer to narrow down your targeting. In this case, you need to set 'Target & Bid' setting at the keyword level and then 'Bid Only' on the 'Interest' or 'Topic' level. This tells AdWords that, use the keywords as the base to narrow down the relevant placements on the Display Network and then use the bid set at the 'Interest' or 'Topic' to target relevant users. This will help you reach out to the most relevant of audiences on the most relevant of placements.

You can read more about it here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6056342?hl=en&rd=1

Also, give this video a look and it may help you clear things up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfWMfzs1hR4

The video is a bit old but still holds relevance.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
For keywords it doesnt show any targeting option like mentioned above.
So, If I have 2 targets 1 is placement and other is interest.
What need to do for better clicks. Placements with target bid or bid only OR interest with target & bid or Bid only?

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi Mansoor,

There is no definite answer to your question here as to where you should use 'Target & Bid' & where 'Bid Only'. This totally depends on your strategy that you would like to implement. To explain this better, I will try and use some home made infographics. Please pardon the quality here.

Example 1: Target & Bid on (Managed) Placements & Bid Only at Interests

Target & Bid & Bid Only 1.png

Here I am assuming that you meant to say 'Managed' placements since 'Automatic' placements would need keywords to map their ads to relevant webpages on the display network. So in any case, in my experience, if you use this particular strategy you will end up targeting the intersection of the users who are on your targeted webpages & have been categorized as users who belong to the Interest categories that you are targeting. Other than this, you will also be targeting all the users who belong to the 'Interest' categories that you are targeting. 

For the intersection of the two sets, your bid will be the bid applicable here will be the bid set for each placement that you are targeting i.e., if you have set a placement level bid of $ 1.00 for a placement say 'www.domain.com', it will pick up the $ 1.00 bid when entering the ad auction. As for the second scenario here, the bid associated with 'Interests' will be the bid that is picked up for targeting users who fall under all your targeted interests.

Example 2: Bid Only at Placement and Target & Bid at Interests level

Target & Bid & Bid Only 2.png

The opposite logic will apply here when you set Bid only at the Placement level and Target & bid at the Interests level and you end up targeting both the users who belong to the intersection of the two targeting options plus everyone who visit the placements that you are targeting.

As for the option of changing the bid strategy on the interface, you need to go to the Display network tab under your campaign, then go to either the placements tab or the keyword tab first (again depends where you wish to set what targeting setting) and then look for a '+Targeting' button. it should look like this:

Targeting button.png

After this you should have a page which should ideally look like this:

Add Targeting.png

Next, Click on 'Add Targeting' and you will see a page like this:

Add Targeting 1.png

Choose from the drop down the additional layer of targeting you wish to add again your 'Interest' in your case.Once you select your second targeting option you will have to select from the list of available Interest targeting options;

Add Targeting 2.png

Once you have selected this, at the bottom of the 'Interests' box/section, you will see the option to change the targeting setting, something like this:

Add Targeting 3.png

Choose the option you wish to take up here and then move on to the next targeting which can be 'Placements' or 'Interests' depending on the strategy you wish to take up.

Do give this a try and if you face any problems here, do let us know so that we can try our best to help you out.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Shasank,

I recently had an issue where I had remarketing lists as target and bid with no other targeting apart from some managed placements with bid adjustments (bid only).

I changed remarketing list (similar audience) to bid only and the following day i received 0 impressions.

If anything I thought this would increase the targeting, however ads stopped showing.

Any ideas around this?

Thanks
Sarah

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee
Hi Sarah,

This is working as intended. "Bid Only" means that you only want to overlay the remarketing list as a way to apply a bid modifier (like +20%) but it requires that you have another primary targeting method. If you don't have one your campaign will not serve any impression.

- Maxime

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, that makes sense.

Target and bid vs Bid only - Remarketing?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Shashank,

Thank you for your illustration here. So.. if I just want to show ads to people in the intersect area of those 2 sets, I need to set both Placements and Interests to 'Target and Bid', correct?

Thanks,

Boon