AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Target Search Page Location - Ads showing less than before...

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm managing a local campaign in a very competitive environment (emergency home services). For awhile now, the campaign has not reached its budget and in most cases was very far from reaching it. My goal is to get more clicks, however, since it's emergency services, top page position seems like the best way to get these clicks.
Client is willing to pay what it takes to beat competition, but somehow the campaign is not getting enough impressions or clicks. Quality score for most KWs is between 7/10 to 10/10.
Here's what I've tried so far:
1. Manual cpc: bid low to get more clicks for budget.
2. changed to manual cpc, bid high and keyword bidding automation to raise bids to top of page.
3. maximize clicks strategy
4. again, manual cpc - focused on minimizing keywords, keeping high performing broad modified KWs.
5. Ads copy changes
6. Now, after talking to Google (again): use of bid strategy - target top page position. I also upped the bids (with client's consent) dramatically, just to see if it's a bidding price issue. Funny enough, the campaign has been getting LESS impressions and clicks the more I upped the bid with this strategy.

Any thoughts, Ideas what's wrong here? I thought it was just a market capacity issue but his competition is getting a lot of clicks and jobs and always show above him on Google's page.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ofir Y
December 2016

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @Ofir Y

Oh wow, thats quite a significant target population. 

I mean it could be possible their bids are higher. I have seen some extremely high bids on KW based on a loss leader, through factoring in LTV of a lead / customer and not the immediate ROI. Probably slightly different market however by the sounds of it but it could just be bids / ad rank. 

What do the competitive metrics say? such as auction insights - when you enter the same auctions are they always always above you? Obviously just thinking aloud here so apologies if you have already covered all this in your analysis. 

James

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

What is the size of the geo targeted area?  e.g. population, reach, or radius in mi.

What match types are you using? Is there any modified broad match?  

Sometimes with very narrow geo-targeting, for local businesses, I've had to resort to broad match to get volume. But you have to stay all over the negative keyword list pretty much on a daily basis, and it doesn't work for all keyword markets.

Just my preference mostly, but I wouldn't try and get fancy with the bid control schemes - i would just bid for ~position 2 against Google bid estimates (above "Est Top Page Bid" and below "Est First Pos Bid". It's hard to go wrong, setting in position 2 or slightly lower, in my experience.

It is also possible that for the keywords in use, the search volume simply does not exist within the geo targeted area. I've seen that plenty.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Ofir Y

As @Steve B Mentions, i too work on some very local campaigns had to resort to broad match to start getting volumes and gradually build them out into exact matches and very aggressive bidding. The negative kw list is certainly a must thats for sure. 

I have experience in similar campaigns and i built the account out per campaign per device, and I found most of my traffic perhaps as expected was from mobile. I found that this helped me in this particular circumstance as everything was mobile related and in particular mobile price extensions and i opted for manual cpc. 

I really employ a lot of flexible bidding strategies but these are to larger geo areas and i find work excellently - albeit in very different markets and sample sizes it seems. I would certainly bear these in mind for future campaigns. 

Good luck and hope that you find a solution. 

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you!

I've been using mainly broad match modifiers  and some phrase match (but not too many). The GEO area is covering about 1 million people. 

I guess my question is simple, how come competition is always above, even though my quality score seems pretty good and the bids are high (can't imagine they bid higher, but who knows...)?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you James!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ofir Y
December 2016

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @Ofir Y

Oh wow, thats quite a significant target population. 

I mean it could be possible their bids are higher. I have seen some extremely high bids on KW based on a loss leader, through factoring in LTV of a lead / customer and not the immediate ROI. Probably slightly different market however by the sounds of it but it could just be bids / ad rank. 

What do the competitive metrics say? such as auction insights - when you enter the same auctions are they always always above you? Obviously just thinking aloud here so apologies if you have already covered all this in your analysis. 

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes I have. I really appreciate your insights on this though. You've been very helpful. 

Happy New Year!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Well... I would switch to enhance CPC, split keywords  to  ad groups by match types and bid  the highest on exact match and lowest on modified broad. I think the scenario you are facing is that  modified broad match keywords capture  most of the traffic while it should capture only  residual traffic,

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Toda Moshe. I'll try that