AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Target Larger Companies

KD
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
KD
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our client is a lead generation services provider and is focused on larger enterprise-type leads. We are running a campaign now that's getting some traffic, but the leads are all for smaller companies. The long-tail keywords we thought of (enterprise lead generation, etc.) don't get much traffic according to Google. We also thought of adding verbiage to our ads about "enterprise" or "large companies." Any advice?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Lakatos (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Target Larger Companies

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi KD, at the risk of telling you what you know, it's worth bearing in mind that larger companies can often operate in a very different way to smaller ones.  For example, a smaller company may well find resoiurces by searching Google, whereas a large company may rely purely upon previous providers or recommendations.  Larger companies may well be bound by lengthly tendering processes and have "approved" lists of providers.  

In short, the larger companies may simply not be using the web to find what they want.  It's a silly example, but imagine Ford using Google to look for a new paint supplier for their cars...

It may be in this situation that you'll need to look for where the "buyers" hang out on the web (if they do).  Discussion boards, social media, etc.  And, in the long run, it may simply be that Adwords isn't going to work for these larger businesses and you'll need to focus on other marketing tools.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey KD,

Are you running the campaign on the search network? If so, have you though about expanding to the display network? The display network has a far greater reach than that of search, but not always "direct-response" traffic is generated. You can target sites based on keywords, site topics, user interest categories, and you are even able to mix and match these targeting options in order to get even more targeted.

Adding verbiage to your ad that somewhat qualifies a user before clicking is a good practice, but does not always generate the wanted outcome. A few other benefits of the display network are the different ad types that you can create such as image & rich media.

What are you currently targeting in terms of geography? Expanding this targeting will help with search volume, but only do this if it makes sense.

What are your keyword match types set to? If exact, try phrase; if phrase try modified broad; and if that isn't working try broad match. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

BI

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

There was also a similar Community thread here.

Thanks,

BI

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Lakatos (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi KD, at the risk of telling you what you know, it's worth bearing in mind that larger companies can often operate in a very different way to smaller ones.  For example, a smaller company may well find resoiurces by searching Google, whereas a large company may rely purely upon previous providers or recommendations.  Larger companies may well be bound by lengthly tendering processes and have "approved" lists of providers.  

In short, the larger companies may simply not be using the web to find what they want.  It's a silly example, but imagine Ford using Google to look for a new paint supplier for their cars...

It may be in this situation that you'll need to look for where the "buyers" hang out on the web (if they do).  Discussion boards, social media, etc.  And, in the long run, it may simply be that Adwords isn't going to work for these larger businesses and you'll need to focus on other marketing tools.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi,

I would like to underline what Jon has already said. I used to have an multi-year assignment with Chevron Overseas Inc. in the nineties and honestly I would be surprised to learn that the guys in charge of procurement are engaged in Google searches, in an effort to find exploration engineers, offshore rig manufacturers, oil refineries or buyers of crude oil. As Jon said, the typical way of procurement is inviting pre-qualified contractors to participate in tenders.  - Hence in case you are seeking business contacts with large cooperations the last thing I would advise you to do is to run a sponsored ad by means of Adwords.

Best,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hey KD,

I kinda agree with Jon and BI..

Having "enterprise" etc in your ad will only validate your customers but there are other thins that affect this.

Also.. since you said that you do not get too much of traffic anyways... I wouldn't want to filter out the leads I am getting.. even if they are smaller businesses.

Jon correctly mentioned taht bigger enterprises would have their own contacts to get their stuff... Ive experienced this personally with a few of my B2B clients...

It would probably be better to try the Display network where the managers of these big companies(your target audience) may go in to discuss or research newer technologies being used etc... 

You can also display your ads on inudustry news pages.. this will probably increase awareness about your company..

I think the Google Search could be really difficult to get traffic and leads from.

All the best!

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!