Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Target CPA not reaching budget

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

i've been running a successful target CPA campaign on conversion optimiser for the last 30 days. actual CPA is about 60% of target CPA (which is obviously very pleasing) but my campaign is not filling its budget. My questions are;

1. what can I do to generate more clicks (and hopefully conversions) so that my daily budget is filled.

2. i think i can do that by increasing Target CPA but i don't actually want my CPA to increase. My experience with doing this has been to see higher CPC, approximately the same amounts of clicks and no real improvement in conversions. 

Can anyone help. The issue is simply how do i fill my budget with more of the same. 

Kind regards

Charles

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Target CPA not reaching budget

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Charles,

Thank you for your posting. Regarding the questions you have about your current CPA campaign:

1. what can I do to generate more clicks (and hopefully conversions) so that my daily budget is filled.

If you're willing to spend more on your advertising, but you're not hitting your budget, you can increase your CPC bids for the ad groups in the affected campaign. Higher bids help increase your Ad Rank, which leads to greater visibility for your ad. With more visibility, you're likely to get more clicks that lead to conversions.

2. i think i can do that by increasing Target CPA but i don't actually want my CPA to increase. My experience with doing this has been to see higher CPC, approximately the same amounts of clicks and no real improvement in conversions. 

}  Or simply raising your target CPA bid will increase traffic and conversions. I suggest adjusting your target CPA bid until you find the amount that fits your daily budget goal. Btw on your previous experience increasing the Target CPA, how long a period did you run your increased Target CPA? 

There's a good community thread that discusses Conversion Optimizer and Target CPA which you may want to review here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi John Paul, thank you for the response and the link to the thread.

When increasing CPA before yes I saw a distinct increase in CPC (expected) and increase in traffic and therefore budget spend. But I only kept it going a few days because I didn't see a notable increase in conversions.

I've heard a lot of talk about CO returning it's target CPA over the long term, clearly I don't want this if I'm increasing target CPA to get more visits and conversions and to fill a budget.

So a little more about the numbers. My target CPA is set to $100, over the last two months actual CPA (many per click) is averaging around $55 (which works for me) but I'm only using about half my budget.

So my question, in simple terms - if I increase target CPA to say $200 should I expect to roughly double my spend, double my visits and double my conversions but leave actual CPA where it is at around $55?

Does anyone have experience with this. My fear is an increase in target CPA does in fact deliver a larger actual CPA which isn't what I want. But i'm hoping Google is cleverer than this and there is a "natural" CPA which is always returned regardless of what target CPA is.

Any thoughts?

Charles
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Charles F
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Charles,

Yes JP is bang on and I would like to add some more point.

# If you have search campaigns, then see the impression share in campaigns and keywords and increase your Target CPA bid accordingly.

# You can find the other relevant keyword and you can create the second campaigns with those keywords. If you add this keyword in same CPA campaign, it will not help..as CO campaign does not support bulk editing and adding keywords or ads.

# If you have GDN campaigns,

You can convert CO campaigns into DCO campaigns. In this way you can increase the reach and able to spend more...

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Adwords-Advance-Feature-DCO/ba-p/219965

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/190596?hl=en

=======================================
Does anyone have experience with this. My fear is
an increase in target CPA does in fact deliver a
larger actual CPA which isn't what I want. But
i'm hoping Google is cleverer than this and there
is a "natural" CPA which is always returned
regardless of what target CPA is.
.====================\===================
As far I know that CO campaigns work on the basis of past campaign performance. If your campaign had not able to wear out budget completely before the enabling the CO in campaigns, the campaigns will never exhaust your campaign budget completely. As system already set that your campaigns will get X number of conversion in Y bid and T total cost.

So in order to spend 2T, you need to give some resource (Increase Bid) in your campaigns so that system will adjust accordingly and able to spend budget at desired CPA. Also remember it will take some time to adjust your campaigns, as it works based on your past performance.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Have you tried adding more quality keywords? That might be a line of attack Smiley Happy