AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Target CPA - does it optimize for 'conversions' or 'all conversions'?'

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am giving 'Target CPA' a try and am wondering what conversion data it is actually using for optimization?

Some brief background... under 'tools -> conversions' in my account I have a few imported goals from Google Analytics that I have set to NO for 'include in conversions'.  I have ONE website conversion setup for order completion in AdWords which I have set to YES and also tracking this conversion properly on our end (sending the conversion data like revenue and so on).

My AdWords reporting works just as I would expect.  Only actual competed order conversions show up in the 'conversions' column whereas those PLUS the others I am not including show in the 'all conversions' column.

With that said, since we are doing Target CPA now my question is will it optimize for the 'conversions' or 'all conversions'?  I certainly do not want this optimized for ALL because that includes conversions which provide no sales/revenue to us.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Well it's optimizing to get conversions at the cost you set (cost per conversion), so basically it is going to try to get you the most qualified conversions. It should only be taking into account purchases, since that is the only conversion you have set up for reporting so it should be just "conversions". 

Keep in mind that Taget CPA bidding requires historical data, at least 30 conversions in the past 30 days for that campaign. Here's some more information about it: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6268632?hl=en

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well it's optimizing to get conversions at the cost you set (cost per conversion), so basically it is going to try to get you the most qualified conversions. It should only be taking into account purchases, since that is the only conversion you have set up for reporting so it should be just "conversions". 

- 'Should' doesn't really help me here.  I would like to know a definite answer.  Is it only targeting/optimizing with the 'conversion' data or 'all conversions' data?

Keep in mind that Taget CPA bidding requires historical data, at least 30 conversions in the past 30 days for that campaign. Here's some more information about it: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6268632?hl=en

- I'm aware of this.  You are not allowed to change your targeting methods to those your account does not qualify for to begin with.  For example, if you setup a new account you would not be able to use Target CPA or ROAS right off the bat until the account was eligible for them.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I 'think' I found a definite answer for this.  I found the snippet labled 'Tip: Choose what conversions to bid for' at https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6268632?hl=en which basically says that only those conversions you choose to include in the conversions column will be used.

Oddly enough, I opened a chat with Google support prior to finding this and was told the opposite.  Granted I had a hard time with the support person as it seemed to be copy/paste responses and I didn't feel like they understood what I was asking/talking about, but in the end they told me ALL conversions would be used in the optimization regardless if they were included or not (in other words the 'all conversions' column in AdWords).

I am going to trust the actual page I linked and chalk up my chat conversion to someone that didn't know what they were talking about Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Pongo H,

I know you asked your question over a year ago, but I just dealt with this issue.  You are correct: only if you opt in 'All Conv' will these be considered by the tCPA tool as it optimizes for the desired CPA goal.  The system doesn't automatically take offline or imported conversion data into consideration, even though it shows in reports within the AdWords UI.

There may have been confusion with support if the rep assumed the 'All Conv' were set to be included in your 'Conv' data.  Thanks for posting the link to the support article you found!  It was really helpful to me as I worked through this issue in my own account.