Guide Me
star_border

Tapping Into Mobile via Enhanced Campaigns

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hi Folks,

Often time it can be difficult to keep up with the evolving digital landscape and changes in user behavior. If you aren’t currently targeting users on mobile devices, you may be missing out on people and business as users switch between devices throughout the day. With the launch of enhanced campaigns, we are aiming to make it simpler for our advertisers to enter the mobile landscape should this platform fit your business needs.

I wanted to share some insights on how I think enhanced campaigns will help you jump on mobile without having to tear your hair out below.

Create Mobile Preferred Ads
Rather than creating a completely separate mobile campaign, when editing or creating an ad you can select “Mobile” to optimize your ad for mobile devices. Ads with this option selected will be given preference in terms of serving on mobile devices. Here are some things you may want to highlight in mobile ads which may differ from standard ads.

• Mobile-specific deals or discounts: If you have a promotion users can show during in-person purchases, make sure to mention this in your ad’s text as it may drive users to make a purchase quicker. You can also set mobile specific landing pages which contain this content.  
  • Geographically relevant information: One in three mobile searches have local intent so try to make text relevant to the specific locations you are targeting. This may mean you will have to have a localized campaign which will increase relevance to users based on location.

Set Mobile Bid Adjustments
If  you’d like to bid higher or lower on mobile, you can enable bid adjustments for a percentage decrease or increase on keywords when a user is searching on a mobile device. Let’s say you know users are more likely to order your product while on the go, you can set bid adjustments to increase your bids for mobile. You can set a bid percentage decrease on mobile while you get your feet wet if you’re not so comfortable with mobile just yet as well.

The above features are available after upgrading to enhanced campaigns. We’d love to hear about your experience and approach to entering mobile via enhanced campaigns!

You can also tune into our enhanced campaigns Hangouts on Air series going on now. Next week, we’ll be discussing bid adjustments. To join the Hangouts, just sign into Google+ and add the Google Ads +Page to your circles.

Juliana S.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tapping Into Mobile via Enhanced Campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Great article thanks. I'm in the process of migrating our accounts over to Enhanced Campaigns. So far the change has benefited us. 

One of my next big chalenges is migrating our largest account, the problem I have is that we have a dedicated mobile site with a m. url. So when I am setting up the mobile ads their display and destination URL will be different to all the other ads on the account. In addition to this the budget allocation is completely different. Our mobile site has limited features so it has a limited monthly budget, our Search and Display campaigns only have a targetted CPA to maintain.

So I won't be able to riks running mobile ads that might show up on desktop or tablet, or desktop ads that might show up on Mobile. I've seen this discrepency happen on some of the accounts I have migrated. There at least it doesn't matter because they go to the same page.

The only workaround I have found is using the {ifmobile} modifier in the URL. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Juliana,

I'm wondering, if I create ads only for "mobile" in an ad group, will that eliminate impressions on desktops and tablets?

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

To ensure mobile preferred ads don't show on desktop and laptops and standard ads (non-mobile preferred don't show on mobile devices), I would recommend having at least one of each ad type per ad group. Most times, standard ads will serve on desktop and tablets, and mobile preferred ads will serve on mobile devices. All ads will have the same display URL but different destination URLs based on ad content and type.

You may consider setting up your client's site to redirect users automatically to the corresponding mobile version of your site when searches are performed on mobile, and this will eliminate the need to use a modifier on the URL. I do want to clarify, the above option will work only if both the mobile and desktop sites share the same domain. 

Also, to control spend on mobile devices, you'll definitely want to use the mobile bid adjustments I described above!

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
Hey Pete,

If you create only mobile-preferred ads in an ad group and there aren't any standard ads, these ads may also serve on desktop and tablets. It's best if you are running on 3 devices to create both standard and mobile-preferred for increased control.

Juliana S.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Juliana,

Thanks for that information. I know many AdWords users want to know how to run a mobile only campaign with enhanced campaigns. I thiought this might be a solution. Apparently it is not!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hey Everyone, 

Below you will find our schedule for our Hangout on Air series on enhanced campaigns I referred to in my initial post. 

• March 13th at 11 AM PDT: Overview & Bid Adjustments
  • March 27th at 11 AM PDT: Campaign Management & Strategies for Upgrading
  • April 10th at 11 AM PDT: Location Targeting & Ad Extension Updates
  • April 24th at 11 AM PDT: Smarter Mobile Ads

To join the Hangouts, just sign into Google+ and add the Google Ads +Page to your circles. Then, on Wednesday, navigate to your Stream where you'll be able to view our Hangout live with just one click.  

Juliana S. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Charl wrote:

One of my next big chalenges is migrating our largest account, the problem I have is that we have a dedicated mobile site with a m. url. So when I am setting up the mobile ads their display and destination URL will be different to all the other ads on the account. In addition to this the budget allocation is completely different. Our mobile site has limited features so it has a limited monthly budget, our Search and Display campaigns only have a targetted CPA to maintain.

So I won't be able to riks running mobile ads that might show up on desktop or tablet, or desktop ads that might show up on Mobile. I've seen this discrepency happen on some of the accounts I have migrated. There at least it doesn't matter because they go to the same page.

Your mobile ads using the m.site.com version of your site should not be an issue. If your site is normally www.site.com and your mobile site is m.site.com then you don't have to first of all worry about different domains in the adgroup because they are on the same domain but different subdomains.

To your second point, the mobile budget is something you can't really control right now because the campaign will have an overall budget with mobile being a part of that. You can use bid modifiers to bid down mobile (or turn it off during parts of the day) but it is not a simple fix.

Now for making sure your traffic goes to the right landing pages you can actually use the Google Value Track system and some internal redirects

So in this instance you could use the {device} tag. Depending on the device type this tag is replace with either “m” for mobile, “c” for computers, or “t” for tablets. So your destination URL’s could look something like this:

http://m.site.com/redirect.php?tracking=sometracking&device={device}

The script (redirect.php) would then look at the device parameter and redirect visitors accordingly. There are different ways to handle this on the server side, of course.

Hope that helps

N/A
# 9
N/A

Well, No matter how nicely you demonstrate that "Enhance Settings" give more control to the advertisers but truth of the matter is it gives more control to the Google and it takes the freedom away from advertiser. Here is the situation, If I being an advertiser want to advertise my business to the mobile customers only, the Enhance settings has taken away that right from me and put me into more complicated situation of bid adjustment. And even in bid adjustment one has very limited control. Matter of the fact is that advertisers are forced to show their ads there, where they don't want to advertise their business ( I am talking about the mobile advertiser who don't want to show their ad on desk tops but with this enhance settings they have to) I feel previous settings were the best compare to the enhance settings. May be enhance settings are good for some but certainly not for all.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I feel the same way, this update is very frustrating and so far not user friendly. Why isn't there an option to pick the device you want ads to appear on AND enhanced campaign settings for those that want more control?