AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Tablet traffic killing display campaigns. Any work around?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

With enhanced campaigns, there's no way to separate out tablet traffic from desktop traffic. For search, this is fine, but for display it's horrible - I'm guessing because of the touch based interface people accidentally click ads on their tablets a lot more (I myself have clicked plenty of ads but not once on purpose to my recollection).

As a comparison, our CPA for desktop is $27, and for tablet $330 (!). Is there no way to get around this? I can't be the only one noticing this with tablets on display campaigns? For now we've had to pause all our display campaigns. Is anyone seeing comparable conversions for display on tablet vs desktop? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tablet traffic killing display campaigns. Any work around?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Malcolm,

Just a wild assumption of your problem, have you excluded mobile apps from your campaign placement? I had a similar problem once when i checked my placement reports and having lots impressions and clicks from mobile apps which are irrelevant. You might want to check your placement reports.

Include this as a negative placement:
adsenseformobileapps.com

Hopefully this is the solution for you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
i am also getting bad conversions results from tablets and google seems to make more money out of the fact that we must show ads o tablets if we want to show on computers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I think in the long run they make more money by keeping advertisers happy & profitable so they keep spending. Hope they'll come out with a fix soon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the tip, but already have that excluded.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Malcolm, there's no tip that can prevent tablets displaying with a Desktop Campaign, but have you done all you can to make tablets successful?  Although your CPA is horrifying, it does show that you get some conversions from tablets, so the real issue here is not that they don't convert but that they're very expensive.  While I'm sure your theory about accidental clicks is valid, I don't think it's responsible for that sort of variation so I'd ask the following:

• Have you analysed whether tablet traffic is assisting desktop conversions?  Since they're different devices the typical AdWords assisted click tracking won't work but it's logically quite possible that people are viewing your site on a tablet and then making final purchases via a desktop.  I did this several times just last night, looking at a number of hotels while in a bar, on my tablet, then booking them when I got back home later, using my desktop.  The hotel proprietors will all be complaining about the lack of conversions on tablets but in fact it was the tablet that allowed me to compare their hotels with others before making a decision.

• Is your site tablet-friendly?  Continuing my example above, in my search for hotels I found a distressing number that either didn't work with tablets at all (booking engines mainly, just blank spaces) or which used colour schemes/text sizes/layouts that were difficult to read or use on a smaller screen (my tablet is 7").

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon, thanks for your reply.

1. For search we convert as well on tablets as on desktop (sometimes better), so this is specific to display.
  2. The conversion rate is similar to that of advertising on a completely unrelated site (so it's not just that it's low, it is not a workable starting point in my experience. This requires something beyond standard/gradual opimization).
  3. There may be some assistance to desktop going on, but clearly something else is wrong if they convert OK on search but not on display. 

Have you had success running display campaigns on tablets? How do your conversion rates compare to desktop?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hmm, it is kind of odd that it's specific to Display.  I don't have many clients that use the GDN and of those that do, almost all use it only for remarketing but where I have stats, Tablets have better stats than Desktops, CPC, CTR, and Conversions.

Of course, I would always say that Search and Display are very different beasts and they have to be treated as such.  Display and Search need totally different approaches to be effective and it may just be that the targeting you're using on Display is just, in some weird way, not working for tablet users.

How are you targeting on the GDN?  Can you break the performance down to specific sites?  Perhaps it is, as you say, "finger trouble" and perhaps there's one or more sites that are particular offenders (where maybe the Ads are poorly placed or easily clicked).

J

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've checked analytics and tablets have a conversion rate of 1.22% vs desktop that has 17.39%...def looks like a tablet issue. Maybe I can find some sites where this is a bigger issue than others, but it's crazy to me they are to separeate out devices that work completely differently for contextual ads. I really hope they change this, pretending that tablet and desktop users behave identical is a bit delusional and kind of a step back in terms of targeting capability

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Malcolm,

Have you tried to limit devices you show up on? You can go into the Display settings and choose your device type. I'd imagine that you can just not choose tablet devices, or maybe just choose something that you know you won't show up for on, like choosing to run only on webOS. This device choice is only available on Display campaigns, not Search.

Here is how to get to those settings:

Go to your Campaign Display settings. Make sure you are in the "All settings" tab and look in the section "Desktops and laptops, mobile devices, and tablets". There go to Devices All and click on "Edit." Then click on the plus sign next to Advanced mobile and tablet options and choose your OS, Device Models, and/or Carriers and Wi-Fi.