6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Tablet bid adj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

What is the hold up on Tablet bid adjustments?

tablet killing my campaignPNG.PNG

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tablet bid adj

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Greg,

It can be frustrating for some sites but here is the information Google has provided to me before:

"The reason tablet is combined with desktop on bid adjustment is because, according to Google’s research, intention on desktop is the same as on tablet. There is no benefit in splitting the two. Intention on mobile is greatly different, and typically a local behavioral search."

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Lol. I can't believe you just wrote that! The data speaks for itself. In my example, intention on tablet is nothing like desktop or mobile. The best part is, if I could eliminate tablet traffic, I would have cause to increase my budget given the cost/lead benefits. Then both Google and I would win.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Greg,

That statement was simply from a rep at Google. I agree that depending on your CMS or platform mobile, tablet and desktop can vary greatly. But in Google's eyes, tablet and desktop are more closely aligned. If you are experiencing such terrible CPA on tablets you may want to investigate your user experience to see if some touch features, menus, elements are causing issue or if a re-design or re-structure is in need for your tablet responsive design. Typically I ave seen relatively similar results from both desktop and tablet traffic on e-commerce and content sites I help manage.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Greg M

Most often the issue is directly related to User Experience. I have seen businesses obsessed with mobile devices and desktops. How about other screen sizes? Tablets or high resolution screens (e.g. retina)? 

Most of the websites have two versions only - desktop and mobile. The desktop version caters to high resolution screen as well and mobile version is there for ipad and tablets. It's not a good practice. We are living in multi-screen world. We are surrounded by internet enabled devices. For this reason, a search on mobile travels through different screens and gets converted on a screen that offers best experience or where this user gets a wow moment. Hence, a business should make sure that device screen size is not playing a constraint.

In your scenario, CTR and Ad Position is the best on tablets. Average CPC is lower on tablets than desktops. It means, your ads are bringing relevant people to the website cost effectively. Then why don't they convert? 

Your strategy should be to find the reason why. Don't jump to conclusion so early. 

First thing, check UX on tablets. Refer to Analytics, check bounce rate, session duration, and engagement rate on tablets. Check in-page analytic or heat map to see how people behave on your website.

Second, Analyze cross device conversion data. How smaller screen are working for you?

Third, 89 click is not enough to conclude that performance level. 

My two cents.

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Tweeter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
In my case, I sell Windows Desktop Applications. People coming from tablets are pretty much worthless and cost me money that I'd rather put toward the platform where my applications can be used. In fact, I'd love to be able to limit it to searches performed from a Windows Desktop OS only. Are there any plans to support this type of limiting in the future?

Thanks,

John

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi @John R - this is not ideal, but one thing you could do is, at least, remarket to your target audience.

You are able to segment by technology, and you should then be able to turn that segment into a remarketing audience... so, although you cannot advertise to this select group, you can bid more aggressively to them through remarketing - writing copy specifically for them... might help the bottom line

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
1. UX on tablet devices are in line with mobile/desktop

2. "How smaller screen are working for you?" I don't know exactly what you're asking but the site is very large and slow on mobile. People who visit us from mobile devices want to make an action as represented in our conversion rate (phone calls).

3. I agree 89 clicks is not a lot of data, but 25% of the budget is being wasted on the tablet. 25% more I could be pumping into desktop and mobile. My impression share is < 50% in this campaign yet I must still waste money on this device.

Google just released the 4 ad update to the desktop to make it more inline with the mobile experience. With that logic, mobile bid adjustments are unnecessary since according to Google the desktop and mobile experience are now the same....do you agree with that?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
@stickleback

I would definitely try that tactic. Nice one.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Greg,

It is unlikely advertisers will ever see this happening. I asked our agency reps numerous times and pointed to significant performance differences between tablets and desktops, but they still claim intent is the same.

I think regardless, advertisers should have the option of setting a bid % on tablets just like mobile since we would want more control over where,who we are showing our ads to.

Unfortunately, Google answers to stock holders and those tablet clicks add up a lot (about 20% of our desktop traffic). Imagine everyone just decreasing their tablet bid by 50% - that's a lot of money lost.

Hopefully at some point Adwords will listen to its users, but I doubt it.