2.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Suspected click fraud - best solution?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Recently some of my keywords are getting clicks but no time (0:00) is being spent on my website, with 100% bounce rates. All keywords are targeting relevant search queries sent to relevant landing pages. I've tested these keywords before and there is activity (60% bounce rate, a few minutes time on site and some pages viewed).

My campaign was paused for around 2 months and upgraded from legacy to enhance. I doubt this is the problem. Now it feels like a bot or something is clicking on my ads - what else can explain, 100% bounce rate, 1 page(s) viewed and 0:00 time on site browsed? 14 clicks - zero activity. This happened over a 2day period and I also doubt it is web hosting problem - its only for a selected number of affected keywords.

No changes were made to this campaigns - it was simply unpaused. What is the best solution/course of action?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Suspected click fraud - best solution?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It might be worth checking your web log files to see if the clicks are coming from the same IP address. If it is then you can dig further or maybe exclude traffic from those IP addresses. You mentioned that you recently upgraded your account to enhanced. Is your website optimised for mobile and tablet as well? If it's not then chances are that the clicks from mobile will have a high bounce rate because the website won't render properly.

hope this helps.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello;

In addition to the answer above:

There is a nice invalid clicks troubleshooter by Google, that  can help you identify  whether the clicks are, indeed, invalid.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I run our small firms PPC for search and content. We had a similar situation in Nov '12 and again in Jan '13. One day our budget would deplete in 1/2 the time with less conversions. The problem is adwords wont tell you the IP address of the CTR in order to use the IP exclusion tool. Then I was referred to clickreport.com. Problem detected and solved in less than 48 hours. In our case, it was a competitor.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Raymond-Smit,

"...what else can explain, 100% bounce rate, 1 page(s) viewed and 0:00 time on site browsed..."

The "other" explanation is actually pretty simple.  If you're seeing this data in Analytics, all it might mean is that the visitors detailed here saw just one page and no other.  The 0:00 time on site does not mean they spent no time on the page.  Analytics can only report a time on page if the visitor goes to at least two pages - it has to be able to measure the arrival on the first page and the arrival on a second and subtract to find the time on the first.  If the visitor only visits one page Analytics can't tell how long that visitor stayed so reports the time as 0.  One page viewed then leaving the site would also, of course, be a 100% bounce rate, since this is how bounce rate is defined.

As I've said in another thread, 14 clicks really isn't enough data to start making assumpitions about activity and in this case there does seem to be a perfectly normal explanation without grasping at click fraud.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits