AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Suddenly No Impressions or clicks despite high quality scores

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi I'm really confused, one of my ad groups has suddenly stopped getting any impressions or clicks despite having  high bids, high quality scores (7-9) and average positions of 1.2.  infact out of my other two ad groups only two keywords out of about 30 are generating any impressions or clicks.  Can anyone help??  I am mainly using phrase and modified broad keywords.

Many thanks

Jamie

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jamie M
May 2016

Re: Suddenly No Impressions or clicks despite high quality scores

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Yup, cannibalism is sometimes very complex and even experienced advertisers can get mixed up, if in a hurry. It needs time and patience to get clarified.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jamie,

"... one of my ad groups has suddenly stopped getting any impressions or clicks ... "

Could you please check the status of your ads and keywords in that ad group? What you say typically happen when some of those items get disapproved by Google.

"... out of my other two ad groups only two keywords out of about 30 are generating any impressions or clicks ..."

In most ad groups, a few keywords accrue the lion's share of clicks and impressions. That's normal. It may go to the extreme, if a few keywords are way too general terms while the rest of them are more specific.

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply. I have checked, all ads are approved and showing, just 0 impressions for the last week. Some of the keywords have quality score 8 or 9. Landing page/ ad relevance all average-above average.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Jamie, that's way not enough information to judge the case. What about the status of the keywords in that ad group? A possible reason may also be that competition started to outbid you or your audience disappeared for some reason.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jamie,

Adding to what Lakatos has already mentioned, please run a keyword diagnostics report to check if any recently added negative keywords are blocking some of your terms. You could do a check on the change history for the same.

On a side note, you have mentioned that you are using modified broad & phrase match terms, are these in the same ad groups or do you have separate ad groups based on the match type?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Lakatos
Keyword statuses all fine, could be that I have a new competitor who is out bidding me, the first page bids have risen massively in the last couple of months??

Nikhil, negative keywords don't seem to be the problem but yes i am using phrase and modified broad in the same ad groups, should they be separate? Its weird some of my keywords have a score of 10/10 but no impressions??

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Jamie,

"... first page bids have risen massively in the last couple of months ... "

That's typical because Google retired right side ads as of late February current year. More competition for less ad spots.

If that is not the case it also may be that you added some strong KWs to other ad groups recently which are stealing the impressions from the ad group you complained about. That's kind of cannibalism that happens to every one. See the thread linked-to below.

*** cannibalization report ***
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-Tracking-and-Reporting/cannibalization-report/m-p/...

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Wow gets so complicated lol! Thanks for your help. I'll try pausing ome keywords and see what happens.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jamie M
May 2016

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Yup, cannibalism is sometimes very complex and even experienced advertisers can get mixed up, if in a hurry. It needs time and patience to get clarified.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Jamie,

If you are comfortable with pivot tables in Excel, you could perhaps mimic this testing method, relative to cannibalism.

Select a time range in the AdWords report so it includes a period when your lame ad group still accrued stats. Download the relevant Search Term report to excel csv.(You'll find search terms if you click on the Keyword tab, select keywords, and finally hit the Search Terms sub-tab.)

Create a pivot as shown in the right hand side of the lower image below my sig.(The values field has Count of Ad groups in it.)

If the figure displayed next to the search term is >1, some sort of cannibalism has been around. When I hit the yellow number "2", the upper image below my sig will come up as an excel sheet. The reason for what you see is that the "ZZ" ad group was created a bit later and with more specific targeting. Therefore the impressions first went to the other ad group, but after the "ZZ" was created they all went to the new ad group. It was, of course, an intentional instance of cannibalism in this particular case.

Best,

Lakatos

Capture-may2d.PNG

Capture-may2c.PNG