Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Sudden drop of Impressions and conversions since 1st of June

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

This campaign was on for the past year, since 1st of June impressions have dramatically dropped and conversions are 50% less last month and so far for this month conversions are 90% less. No changes were made prior to this.

Anyone have an explanation for this? or facing the same issue? could this be spam ? did Adwords change any policy on 1st of June? 

adwordsadwords

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Sudden drop of Impressions and conversions since 1st of June

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Panda B,

While there is no official announcement by Google of a algorithm update, such as Panda, there is much speculation that a quality update was made in June. And we do know that in May a mobile-friendly update happened, which if your website is not mobile-friendly... could be caught up in the change.  And more than one industry watcher suggests something did happen on June 1, 2016... yet there are many that do not agree. Here is one that thinks something changed.

Have you looked at the history of the account to verify that any changes were not done prior to June? Sometimes a tweak is done and forgotten or someone else adjusted something that caused the performance drop.

It also could be that the ads or keywords have gone stale, although, I lean more towards another factor in your case. 

Kind Regards,

James

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I experienced a similar issue with two of my accounts. The campaigns that were affectered were conversion CPA bid strategy accounts. Out of nowhere, after on or about June 15th, my average CPC in the CPA campaign doubled, and my cost-per-conversion nearly doubled. I wasn't happy and am disputing some of the excess charges with AdWords support. I got the canned responses from AdWords support pertaining to competition, search behaviors changing, etc. But the issue was even my own 10/10 branded terms were affected, and Auction insights showed no sudden jumps in competitors.

I remedied this by reverting to "MANUAL CPC" bid strategy, and somehow my conversions magically went back up and my CPA is back down to lower than the CPA bid strategy.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
There was no changes in change history, also the website is mobile-friendly before May and all analytics "notes" were taken care of. This issue is very sudden.

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi Panda,

Have you analysed the campaign thoroughly with respect to the suggestions offered by the adwords support.

Please go through some important reports/metrics and also compare the data for this period.

• Check and compare the average position of ads.
  • compare the search impression share.
  • cross check if the cpc bid is below the 1st page bid, for the important keywords.
  • check search impression share lost due to ad rank.
  • Don't forget to analyse your competitors as well.
  • If your campaign is set to CPA bidding and you are not getting enough or recommended conversions for the current period, then try switching to manual CPC bidding for some time.

If you find that all these metrics unaffected, then also check the current trend for the keyword if the searches are really dropping for those keywords.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
Not making any changes is definitely part of the problem. AdWords is not a set it and forget it proposition. Continual management and optimization is the only way to find long term success.

There have been several changes to AdWords over the past year. Eliminating ads on the side of the page has increased demand for the top positions. As competitors react to the new layout, you could easily be priced and optimized out of the market by standing pat and doing nothing. One new competitor coming in to the market in June, or a/several competitors increasing their bids and budgets for the summer season could result in a huge change overnight.
Tom