Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Sudden drop in traffic, Conversion. AVG position & CPC increase in US

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

In US Campaigns, Over the past few days everything was going fine until today we have noticed a sudden drop in impressions and consequently clicks. The only thing we changed yesterday was our "max cpc" within our campaign - and the change was to increase our max cpc - so if anything we expected our impressions and clicks to go up and not down!!!? Avg position & CPC Increase, Conversion decreases. We feel there must be another reason but cannot fathom why at present. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dhanasekar1919
September 2015

Re: Sudden drop in traffic, Conversion. AVG position & CPC increas

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Dhanasekar1919,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

I would advise you to read this article

If it does not help, come back here and update us. 

All the best!

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Dhanasekar,

I would just like point out the most obvious reasons for your scenario which are part of the great article that Ratan has shared here.

In short, since you increased your Max CPC, your ad auctions have changed for your keywords, If your keywords were first competing for the slots of avg position 2 - 3, post the increase they could be competing for avg positions 1-2.

Now if you have high competition for the coveted avg position 1, you will have to bid much higher than you previously used to, but since you already increased your bids here it could be the case that the bid is high enough to enter the ad auction but not high enough to win it, thus essentially, you are losing out on impressions and since your visibility is affected here naturally your clicks are going to be affected as your not as visible as you were previously.

This can also be chalked down to the theory that the higher avg positions are not good for you in terms of performance and that you need to bid lower again to get back to the positions that previously worked for you.

If you still wish to maintain your bids to rank higher, I suggest you start out by checking your Auction Insight reports for your targeted keywords and understand the competition there. Once you know your competition, do a thorough analysis and figure out the major differences between you and your competitor. By doing this, you can work on your own ad messaging to make it more enticing and competitive enough for the user to click on your ad copies when your ad does get served on the SERP.

I would also give Ratan's article a read as it can also give a variety of approaches that you can take.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Dhanasekar1919,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

I would advise you to read this article

If it does not help, come back here and update us. 

All the best!

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Dhanasekar,

I would just like point out the most obvious reasons for your scenario which are part of the great article that Ratan has shared here.

In short, since you increased your Max CPC, your ad auctions have changed for your keywords, If your keywords were first competing for the slots of avg position 2 - 3, post the increase they could be competing for avg positions 1-2.

Now if you have high competition for the coveted avg position 1, you will have to bid much higher than you previously used to, but since you already increased your bids here it could be the case that the bid is high enough to enter the ad auction but not high enough to win it, thus essentially, you are losing out on impressions and since your visibility is affected here naturally your clicks are going to be affected as your not as visible as you were previously.

This can also be chalked down to the theory that the higher avg positions are not good for you in terms of performance and that you need to bid lower again to get back to the positions that previously worked for you.

If you still wish to maintain your bids to rank higher, I suggest you start out by checking your Auction Insight reports for your targeted keywords and understand the competition there. Once you know your competition, do a thorough analysis and figure out the major differences between you and your competitor. By doing this, you can work on your own ad messaging to make it more enticing and competitive enough for the user to click on your ad copies when your ad does get served on the SERP.

I would also give Ratan's article a read as it can also give a variety of approaches that you can take.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ratan,

Thank you so much for the article. From this article, am trying to find to out the solution. Indeed i used to check Impression share report, Adding negatives to bring quality. Will check other points from your article & find out the way and get back shortly.

Thanks,
Dhanasekar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Shashank,

Thanks much for such an Valid point. But I used to check Impression share report, Adding Negative keywords, Auction Insights and so on. I agree that Sudden decrease in traffic on major keywords based on auction or bid raise or Avg position change. Will Work deep in to competitive metrics and get back.

Thanks,
Dhanasekar

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Glad to be of help!

Shashank
Cheers,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hi
sorry to hijack this but im having the same issue. i totally understand what u r saying and it makes sense but if your kws are already quite a low position because of some unknown reason , maybe competition then reducing the bid would make it worse , am i right. My campaign has just hit the floor ( mobile especially ) and i am now trying to figure out why .
Has anyone turned around a bad account
thanks
Mac