Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Sudden drop in conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I am at a loss as to how on earth our AdWords campaigns have returned zero converions this month compared with 44 in the same time period last month. Nothing has changed and I just can't see why it has bottomed out like that.

Is there something really obvious I am missing or not checking based on your experience?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Sudden drop in conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hmm - Analytics is reporting conversions from Adwords campaigns. Is this possibly a reporting issue on Google's end?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome,

I would advise you to first check your Conversion Tracking code, whether it is still present on goal completion page (contact thanks, check out success etc...) or not. If not, Adwords will simply not show you the conversion arising from Adwords clicks. 

Do the test conversion by clicking you own ad and then completing the full cycle of what you actually consider a conversion. Then wait for about 24hrs. to see whether Adwords allocate that conversion inside your account or not.

Read this article for initial diagnosis.

You said Analytics is tracking the conversion, so have you actually imported the goals inside your Adwords account interface or not?

Let  us know if that helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much - I'll speak with the team tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Considering you didnt change anything in the website and in the AdWords campaign, I would suggest you to go through the analytics to ascertain the quality of clicks. What I mean is to check the avg time on the pages, bounce rate and any similar behaviour you can track. Also, check out on the location of the clicks. Do check the negative keyword list as well to understand whether you are getting unwanted clicks.

I would advise to check the avg position for your keyword and check the appropriate landing pages once more.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

A lot of times, people say nothing has changed when something has changed. They just don't remember or someone else made a change. For example, if you have a web designer, they may have inadvertently removed the conversion tracking code not knowing what it was and thinking it's useless. I had this happen with a client just last week.

But let's say nothing did change (code still there, same keywords and ads, same pages). What are your Adwords stats? Are you getting less impressions? A lesser CTR and thus lesser number of clicks? Are ads shown in significantly lower position? All these could point to a decreased campaign performance and/or competitors with better campaigns.

I would check your checkout, any changes there? I had this happen to another client as well where changing to a new provider decreased conversion rates by half. Seems people were confused by it and not completing the purchase.