AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Sudden drop in GDN (text only) impressions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am experiencing a 90% decrease in impressions. This is for a campaign splitted on GDN search and placements. Where should I start to look?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Sudden drop in GDN (text only) impressions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

In each one    Smiley Happy

Before I answer: what do you mean by "GDN search" - is this a campaign on both search and display?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the quick reply Smiley Happy. With search (and placement) I mean targeting method.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I still don't understand...There is no search targeting for display, (except for YouTube search).
So could you explain which type of campaign are you running?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Are you running gdn campaign with text ads?
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry the confusion! Using Adwords in another language so just mixed some words. I mean keywords targeting.
It used to be around 500 000 impressions in a day. Over night it decreased to 50 000.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes running text ads over the display network.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi André S,

I am assuming you are running contextually targeting display campaign with text ads only. In simple words, you are running display campaign with keywords & text ads. There can be multiple reason of drop in impressions for display network:

1. Did you made any changes recently? Look into change history.
2. Is the campaign status is "limited by budget"?
3. Is their any placement which were receiving impressions before and suddenly not showing up? It often happens some placements publisher stop showing impressions. Sometimes site just do maintenance, server issues etc. And we do see decrease in impressions till the site go up again.
4. Competitors raised bids too high that your rank dropped?
5. Did you compare the relative CTR? If it dropped?
6. May be you excluded any category or placement recently which were getting huge impressions?
7. Under dimension tab view daily stats and see if its for some particular day?
8. Any bid changes?

I am asking lot of questions (Sorry) but need to see what happened? Mostly it happened to me when publisher suddenly stopped running adsense or remove advertisers.

- Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

My assumption is that you added placements in addition to keywords targeting (also known as contextual targeting)
In this case, you are targeting the "overlapped" audience. (The AND condition applies -i.e.  Pages which are on the placements list, and also have content which matches the theme of the keywords.)