Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Sudden drop in CTR

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have been running a couple of campaigns for my website for a couple of years now. My CTR has always been bouncing between 3-5%. But yesterday suddenly, CTR for all of my campaigns drop to below 1%, and it did not change today. This meant a huge decrease in visitors. 

I checked other measurements, but none of them have changed (except number of clicks, which is reasonable). Average postions is also the same. Also my  oraganic visiotrs which come from unpaid Google results have not changed, so that rules out the possibility of a problem with the website. 

I've attached an screenshot of the CTR graph. 

CTR graph

Any ideas on what could be the reason?

Many thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author hamid88
September 2015

Re: Sudden drop in CTR

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi hamid88,

Did you make any changes to the campaigns just prior to the decrese? It would be worth checking in your change history to see if anything stands out.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the answer. I just checked the history section, my last change was made around ten days ago, and it was a usual bid change. Since the drop happened two days ago i don't think thats what caused it Thanks Hamid

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

For comparison, can you please provide  us the screenshot of your CLICKS & IMPRESSIONS for the last thirty days.

From that data, we may see a pattern if there is an incremental decrease on your metrics. Thank you for your cooperation.

More Power,
Loraine

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Loraine for you reply.

I've atatched the Clicks and Impressions graph for the last 30 days here

Clicks and impressions in the last 30 days

Also the ctr and avergae posiiton grah for the last 30 days is as follows:

ctr vs average position

I can see that the average posiiton is increasing, but why the sharp decrease in CTR?  any ideas on what might be going on?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it possible to screenshot the Dimensions Tab, to see the numerical value of your campaign performance. It would be much clearer to see the percentage of decline and see which correlates which. 

So to summarize your case:

Lower CTR + Higher Average Position

How about your:

Average CPC?

Invalid Click Rate?

If this situation is alarming on your end without a clear vision why your metrics changed (without any changes made), this may account to the dynamic environment of Google Adwords. The dynamic auction possibly interfere on your ad serving. If the situation persists, I suggest that you need to evaluate your keywords list since your CTR is comparatively low based on your account maturity (a year).

More Power,
Loraine

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is an screenshot of the dimension page for the last 30 days

http://i48.tinypic.com/2mzxfmo.png

If it is due to the dynamic auction, is there anything I coud fo to change it?

Thanks

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

Hi Hamid88, 

From the screenshot you sent in it looks like your impresson share has been steadily decreasing due to your Ad Rank, which could well cause this drop in performance. This could well be due to other new competitors in the ad auction. 

In this instance you might want to try and tweak your campaign to improve your ad rank. Here are some tips that might be able to help you here. 

A.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Alys for your reply.

I undrstand that the decrease in Adrank of my my campaigns has resulted in my ads being displayed less by Google ( decrease in impression share ), and that this has been a pattern in the last 30 days, and I need to tweak the campaign to steadily increase it.

But does this exlain the sudden drop in CTR? From what I understand, the number of times Google displayed my ads (impression) on 23 july is not significantly different from the day before (24,000 vs. 26,000). What has changed, is that people have clicked significantly less on those ads (146 vs. 1100) which has resulted in sudden drop in CTR rate. Now is that something which could happen overnight becauese of the decrease in ads quality?

Thanks

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Upon analyzing your campaign performance data, I therefore conclude that:

CTR: decline

Average Position:decline (I stand corrected on my previous assumption,since I based it on your previous statement)

Average CPC:stable

Invalid Click Rate:rise

Total Cost: decreased

Before I proceed on the recommendation, aren't we missing out on the idea that your Billing Cycle accidentally falls on that date range? What is your Daily Budget?  Your ads possibly overdelivered on this cycle and the system ensures that you do not exceed your Montly Alloted Budget, as a result, your clicks were limited.

If not, then your  Fluctuating Ad Rank is the most prominent factor which had impacted your CTR.

I love your post! It feels like I am watching "Pathology" where I have to brainstorm what had transpired in between to determine the cause of death (in this case, the root cause of your CTR & Clicks sudden fall).

More Power,
Loraine