Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Sudden Drop In Impressions and Clicks in Display Campaigns

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey All, 

I am working on a Brand Car Project. I have multiple Display Campaigns & Search Campaigns Separately. First, I was targeting only one location for e.g. Van Nuys. Everything was going fine, I was getting 800 clicks per day from each display campaign. But Last month I have updates the locations, I have added new zip codes plus old location. But now I have huge drop down in clicks and impressions. Now I'm getting only 10 clicks per day in each ad-group.

I was targeting all targeting methods like display keywords, placements, topics &  interest & marketing. Now I'm making changes in all campaigns like targeting only two-two methods but still no improvement. Please suggest me how to get back on track again. Also, suggest me which targeting method is best for me from this two .. Bid only or Target and bid.

Thanks in Advance

Mandeep Singh

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Sudden Drop In Impressions and Clicks in Display Campaigns

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
It sounds to me that you narrowed the geographic targeting and the result was a decrease in the number of impressions.
What do you mean by "2-2" method?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi MosheTLV,

Thanks for your answer, but before i was targeting one city "van nuys" but now i'm targeting van nuys, los angeles & 30 more cities. I believe traffic would be increase with these targeting locations. what do you think?

2-2 method means.. now I m using keywords + placements in one ad-group and in other m trying placements + topic and in other i'm using topic + keywords .. but no improvement yet.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Mandeep,

To me, it looks like you first need to look at the history changes you made in your account in terms of location targeting and other settings which might have fluctuated the flow of traffic you were getting.

Also note that sometimes the changes which we believe are not very major tend to have a huge impact with growing time. This might be the situation with your campaigns as well.

Also, in case you want to expand your campaign, other alternative could be to launch a separate campaign with new location targeting like zip codes or any other new locations which you want to try. Reason being that it won't alter the currently running campaign which is smooth.

I hope you know that you can undo the changes made during the last 30 days: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454137?hl=en

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I would consider a few options before reverting:

• First. I agree with 2 targeting methods. This is my favorite.
  • Since you expanded the Geo targeting in the same state, - you are correct:  traffic should increase
  • Try keywords and placements only  - and pause all other ad-groups.
  • Could it be that due to seasonal effects, there are more competitors and you need to raise the bid?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’