Sudden Drop In Conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am experiencing sudden drops in my conversionrates. This is the pattern:

1st Day = 2% Conversion rate
from the 2n Day = 0,2% Conversion rate
(no changes made at all)

When I pause the Campaign for 1 or 2 weeks and then turn them back on, the very same thing happens (first really high, then really low) There were no changes made to the campaign or LP. The CTR is also very stable at 8-12%. The clicks also stay the same (about 300 a day)

I almost assume that it's click fraud - my competitor seeing my ads and starting his thing. I have never seen anything like this before, I'm clueless. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Sudden Drop In Conversions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Heinrich, probably a silly question, but you say you get the better conversion rate when you turn the Campaign(s) back on.  When do you turn them on?  I'm just wondering if it's as simple that you have a strong conversion rate in the afternoon, say, and on the 2nd day onwards you're seeing the figures for an entire 24 hours?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I turned them at random times. But since the campaign is running 24/7, I would get my, lets say afternoon visitors the second, third or whatever day anyways.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Yes, but if day 1 started at 14:00 and ran until midnight, and day 2 started at midnight and ran for 24 hours, then your conversion rate could be substantially different between the two if clicks were roughly consistent per hour but most of your conversions mostly happen after 14:00.

Let's say you get 20 clicks per hour every hour (I know, unrealistic), and 1 conversions per hour but only from 14:00 onwards. If you start day 1 at 14:00, you'd end up with a conversion rate of 5% for that day, but day 2, running all day, would have a conversion rate of just 2.1%.

I'm not saying this is the reason - I'm sure you've thought of this - it's just one possible explanation for the "start day" being different from later "full" days. Have you done a day part analysis on conversions?

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts!

The number of clicks I could get was really maxed out (the daily max budget got never hit). I was getting all the click there were. I will look into my day part analysis of conversions, but the total number of conversions obviously dropped just as hard.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hmm, what's the longest period you've run the Ads for?  I'm still thinking this is some form of "natural" variation in performance rather than a problem of some kind with AdWords - mainly because I've not seen this sort of issue before - apart from when it is just a natural variation in performance.

When you stop advertising, how long do you stop for?  I'm also wondering if your Quality Score is changing.  It's quite common to see Quality Score change rapidly from its position when a new Keyword is first entered to when the Keyword starts gathering data.  Although your Keywords aren't new because they've not been running for a while I wonder if you're starting with a high QS, which allows a high position, then over time the QS drops, your position drops and your other performance reduces.  I appreciate you said your CTR remains roughly the same so I'm not convinced of this idea, I'm just trying to find some answers.

I think you'll need to try and monitor everything the next time you do this; make a note of QS when the Campaign is restarted, position, CTR, etc. and I might suggest you try and run the Campaign for longer than usual.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

exactly same problem here

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies since it is from 2013.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation. It's always best to start your own thread versus making comments to random threads, even if your issue seems related.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic. Making your new thread is fast, easy and allows more specific help directly to you (and not all of the other members in the old thread).

Thank you.