6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Subdomains, Quality Scores and Cname

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

I've found a few posts here about people using Unbounce to host landing pages on their own sites and everyone seems to say they should have no problems(example: abc.xyz.com/landingpage) but unfortunately that's not the case with one of my clients. A client of mine has started using this services and i've seen their keywords get flagged for landing page quality score issues. They didn't have any issue before but they were using landing pages directly within their site. 

Here's a few questions:

1. Should having subdomains on a different CName hurt QS?

2. Could it be that subdomains without a route page could be hurting them. (Example: landing page is at abc.xyz.com/landingpage but abc.xyz.com goes 404 or would the QS robot still just look at xyz.com?)

3. Does having a form directly on your landing page hurt your QS(obviously privacy and other user safety issues are present on the page as well)? This didn't seem to matter on their old page but just wondering.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Westcoaster
September 2015

Re: Subdomains, Quality Scores and Cname

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
No.

2. Could it be that subdomains without a route page could be hurting them. (Example: landing page is at abc.xyz.com/landingpage but abc.xyz.com goes 404 or would the QS robot still just look at xyz.com?)

Possibly. But I think my reply to the next question is more likely.

3. Does having a form directly on your landing page hurt your QS(obviously privacy and other user safety issues are present on the page as well)? This didn't seem to matter on their old page but just wondering.

It's possible, no likely, that upon a further review (which the new landing pages would have gotten when submitted), the page violated the info harvesting policy.

Think about it. If there's no other pages on the subdomain, then the only goal is to collect data right? This violates the information harvesting policy: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/190438?hl=en

I might be wrong, you never provided the URL, but my guess is that I'm right. If you'd like to share the URL or even a screenshot of the landing page, I'll be able to tell.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Westcoaster
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
No.

Possibly. But I think my reply to the next question is more likely.

It's possible, no likely, that upon a further review (which the new landing pages would have gotten when submitted), the page violated the info harvesting policy.

Think about it. If there's no other pages on the subdomain, then the only goal is to collect data right? This violates the information harvesting policy: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/190438?hl=en

I might be wrong, you never provided the URL, but my guess is that I'm right. If you'd like to share the URL or even a screenshot of the landing page, I'll be able to tell.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
To add a few ideas to what Dave has already mentioned, I'd say that one important landing page experience factors that are taken into account when evaluating it is the navigability.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404197?hl=en

People should be able to navigate your website easily from within that page. If that page (the form page) is a squeeze page, with no navigation on it, no "contact us" link or an area which makes it easy for the user to understand who is behind that form then it may violate the "promoting transparency and fostering trustworthiness on your site" part described on that link.

What I would do, in that case, is provide a landing page which has all the required navigational / transparency-related elements on it and see if that is also flagged.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Thanks for the quick reply but after spending far too many hours on researching this I noticed a glaring mistake. When they built the landing page in the new service they didn't add a TITLE tag. So I've changed that and hopefully(likely) that is the problem.

The page is very transparent and links to privacy, contact us, has a phone number as well as links to the main homepage so the issues with transparency shouldn't be a problem. However, if Google does see subdomains as their own sites and not part of the main domain then the harvesting policy may come into play but in that case it would lead to a suspension not a QS hit.

Anyhow hopefully the TITLE tag problem is what was causing the problem and now I just have to wait to see if it changes. Thanks again for the help