Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Subcategories topic and interests

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

If I wanna target ALL subcategories of a specific main topic or interest category, and I do this by adding them all to different ad groups, do I thereby really cover all and everything in that main topics (for example: travel), i.e. are the sum total of all sub topics and interest categories the sum total of that main topic and interest category?

Or, do I also need to add the main topic and interest category in order to cover everything adn all people within it (and in that case perhaps even exclude the sub topics and interest categories of it)?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: Subcategories topic and interests

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi David,

I think you are right. the sum of the sub cats will be lesser than the main category.
My reasoning for this is, sub cats are created only when there is a significant number of websites in that bucket. Everything else may just go into the main category. So you must have more number of sites listed in the main category than the sum of the sub cats.
I dont find any official documentation for this to support it.. but I will try and find one and post it here.

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi David;

The hierarchy goes top- down. Once you  have added a general category, all subcategories are included.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi David,
I agree with MosheTLV.

When you add main category, all other subsequent sub categories will be added automatically. if you have specific business category, you should select only sub topic only. Topic or interest will be very close to your right audiences.

You can find out the most suitable sub topic/interest by typing keywords in search box, available on the top of topic/interest.

Hope I helped you.

Thanks
Virendra

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
I get that,
but what if I only add subtopics and subcategories, do I miss webpages and/or users that I would have targeted had I choosen the main category.
I.e. does the main include more than the sum of the subs?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Correct. If you pick the subcategory - the broader audience is not included, You could see that in the Venn diagram, once you use a category.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
I understand that, but it´s not my question. Which is:
- what if I add ALL subcategories - will the sumtotal of my audience be smaller than if I had added the main category?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi David,

I think you are right. the sum of the sub cats will be lesser than the main category.
My reasoning for this is, sub cats are created only when there is a significant number of websites in that bucket. Everything else may just go into the main category. So you must have more number of sites listed in the main category than the sum of the sub cats.
I dont find any official documentation for this to support it.. but I will try and find one and post it here.

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi All,

I spoke to a Google Source who confirmed what I stated here. She also said that there is no external documentation on this but she was happy to send an email to me confirming this. Smiley Happy
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Oh.... Sorry, I missed your follow up. I don't know, it's a statistical estimate, so there will be some  statistical variance... But in terms of the order of magnitude, the result should be within the same range.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks a lot @schroffs !

@MosheTLV - don´t understand your reasoning at all ...