AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Sub domain vs campaign specific domain effect on quality score?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, 

We're currently running a campaign that utilises a shorter version of our main domain.

The reason being we can't use the main domain because it's on a CMS that we have little to no capability of creating landing pages on. However we could use a subdomain. The other advantage is it gives us a few more characters to play with in the display url.

By switching to a subdomain would it offer any advantages? Does utilising the subdomain have any effect on quality score? It would also increase our characters used up by the domain (and effect DKI in the display URL) 

Thank you in advance for your help,
Ash

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ashley F
April 2016

Re: Sub domain vs campaign specific domain effect on quality score?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ashley,

As long as your Display URL and Destination URL are matching then your ad will run like any other. Honestly, i'm not sure there will be any difference in using a sub domain. What matters is what is on your destination URL, not what the destination URL is.

Hope this helps

- Stephen

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your advice - so would you say the domain has no effect on the quality score (so is quality score then derived from your ad performance, account structure and landing page quality, any other factors?)

Thanks,
Ashley

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Ashley,

You are currently using the sub domain inside your account. Let me know if that's not the case here.

Whether you use a sub domain or the main domain, the primary consideration would be how relevant it is in reference to the keywords/ad copies you are trying to use inside your account to direct users to those particular pages.

And yes you should also be taking care of the Display and Final URL so that they matches and doesn't conflict with AdWords policies. If we talk about DKI, you should adhere to the policies and ensure the relevant user experience. Rest is good.

My Thoughts!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ashley. Yes, here is an article on Quality Score: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en-GB

In my opinion, Click Through Rate is one of the most important aspects of your ad.

- Stephen

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pankaj,

Not quite, we're using an entirely different domain for our campaigns at the moment (although it's just a shorter version of our main domain) think examplewebsiteNET, vs exampleNET - so it's not the same domain.

Thanks,
Ash

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Perfect, thank you Stephen,

With reference to your comment on display and final URL matching - this requires only the domain to match correct, not the full path?

Also, on another note... previously we've spend $80,000+ on this account targeting the main domain (before we started using landing pages) - does this spend matter, will it have a positive impact on our quality scores if we advertise to a sub domain of that domain?

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hi Ash,

It may help to some extent, if you sub-domain is keyword rich it contributes in terms of relevancy.

Suppose, you are advertising PPC services and your sub-domain is ppc.xyz.com then using this in display url, will contribute some relevancy.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for the details. My bad, I actually misunderstood that.

Yes if you tend to move towards the sub domain idea, you need to ensure that it matches with the main domain and you adhere to the display and Final URL policy. 

Pankaj