AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Strategy towards Conference Event..??

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I am running couple of campaigns ( Display Network, Managed Placement, Search Network and Re-marketing ) targeting Conference Event which is related to "Increasing Website Conversions and creating Brand identity

Some more info: These are some topics which are getting covered in the event are as follows:

1] Landing page optimization

2] Customer Relationship Management in Direct marketing

3] Conversion Strategy for SEO

4] Tactics to create best content that converts

5] Getting conversions from Social Media websites

6] Increasing mobile leads..etc

The best this is that Budget is not the issue here...

I am not sure what will be my exact keywords if i will use keywords...? what strategy should i try to maximize the attendees..? What message should i display in my ads..? 

As far as i know this conference will be not attended by common people who are just looking for tactics, ideas etc online to improve the conversions rate for their websites...

If i am not wrong my targeted audience are Managers, Executives, CRO's, CEO etc of companies related to Digital Marketing/Advertising.

Any ideas what should i do in my case...OR what you will do if you are in my place...?

Looking forward for some great ideas and suggestions and strategies too...

Frank

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Franklin J
September 2015

Re: Strategy towards Conference Event..??

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Frank, too late.  You missed it.

25 days is nowhere near enough time to effectively promote a conference of any kind.  Firstly, I'm assuming that it's actually 25 days until the first day of the event, which in practice means you've only really got 21 days or so left because you'll get very few bookings very close to the start - most professionals' diaries will be too full.  You're targeting a large number of states which suggests you're expecting people to fly and stay overnight, so we're also looking at problems with late flights and booking hotels.

However the primary reason I say it's too late is that I would approach this advertising on the Display Network - the GDN - not from Search.  You may get some people searching for conferences to attend but not many and your work will be really cut out for you in terms of Keywords if you're trying to use terms like SEO and conference, etc.  Unless you use Keywords specific to the conference you'll be working against huge competition for other related terms and you'll be getting very few results.

Things like conferences are best advertised well in advance by awareness advertising.  Get the Ads out there on the sites that the sort of people who may attend will visit.  Do it so far in advance that they have time to think about attending, see the Ad multiple times and eventually make up their mind.  There will be costs involved and they may only have a set budget to spend per year on training.  They may need to work around holidays, or other events.

I would have started advertising this event last year.

Anyway, that's not helpful.  My advice is as above.  Look to target sites on a managed placement basis with an attractive image Ad.  Make sure the date is very prominent.  You'll get some sign-ups, I'm sure, but boy you've got your work cut out for you...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Jon told you where to start. Change your perspective, You won't get far by using the GDN, it has a low CTR, especially because you are not promoting a product or service to large masses , you have a very narrow target. Do you think CEO-s waste their time clicking ads from other websites ?

Use the search network. Build search network + partners campaigns.

Then I would try to brain-storm some ideeas on "what would my potential sign-up search for in the search engine".

Once you establish a list of 5-10 things they might search, search their traffic potential with the keyword tool and if they are not enough, find some more keywords.

For 150 people to sign up you can asume a conversion rate of 0.1 % to be the worst case scenario , this is why you need at least 150 x 100 = 15.000 clicks / 20 days = 750 clicks a day.

If the keywords that you chose are estimated to bring you less than that, search some more.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 17
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I'll put in my two cents, it may help.

Keywords should describe the product. Your product is a conference about site conversion. Another may be page optimization conference. Use synonyms of these words as well.

You may find there's not many searches for your keywords. But you may find they convert better. After all, they are searching for exactly what they are looking for. If you go too broad such as "web site optimization", you'll get too many clicks of people looking for free info, the common people as you put it.

The display network with managed placements is where you'll probably get most of your clicks. Just research which sites on the network your target audience is visiting. That's how you are going to create awareness of your event, not by those happening to be searching at that time.

Remarketing is another good idea in this case. Once they visit your site, remind them later as they surf other sites that they should attend this conference.

Your geo-targeting is very wide. I assume this is just one conference at one location. Sure, many of those will travel far if they think this can help. I'd use a two or three-tiered approach. A certain area around the conference location and allocate a larger percentage of the budget to it, say 75% in an area 2-3 hours drive from the conference location. Allocate 25% to another campaign covering the rest.

With likely few searches, a search campaign will take up a small percentage of the budget, say 10%. Most will be for the display campaign. If you use a remarketing campaign, you need to further split the budget up. Maybe 50-50 with the display campaign.

Another thing is you may want to keep only the "local" campaign a week before or now for that matter. Seems to me they are more likely to attend at the last minute.

gmail marketing may be a good idea. Use "trigger" keywords that may appear in their emails. Here I guess you could go broader.

I don't think a mobile campaign will bring results. I would not use logos unless you have permission. I don't think that's a benefit anyway. You got to tell them why they should attend and not waste too much space with logos.

As Jon said, you may already be too late. Maybe advertise more locally in that case and get last minute attendees.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Franklin J ,

First things first . When is the conference, from how many locations can you gather your audience ( geo-targeting) and how much time do you have to configure your campaign ?

Regarding "The best this is that Budget is not the issue"

You could always sub-contract and find help with the local business partners and get rid of all the headache

https://adwords.google.com/partnersearch/

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

Regarding "The best this is that Budget is not the issue"  -- **what i meant here was that my client is ready to spend ample amount of money for Advertising Conference event through Adwords.** 

My targeted locations are:

US - alabama arkansas flordia georgia illinois indiana iowa kansas kentucky louisiana michigan minnesota mississippi missouri n carolina n dakota nebraska ohio oklahoma oregon pennsylvania s carolina s dakota tennessee texas utah virginia w virginia washington wisconsin

Frank.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I missed to mention the days that i have left....its 25 days..

Frank

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Next : what is you conversion target , 20 people to sign-up and pre-pay or 2000 ?

An observation here regarding the time-frame, even if you setup remarketing , there isn't enough time to get them to see ads, but you can try. If you had a time-frame of 3-6 months, remarketing would have helped you.

Next, I would use gmail Ad Display, as sugested by Shuva in this post. Managers could be using Android and gmail.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/How-do-I-set-up-managed-placements-so-I-only-show...

For the rest of the Ideeas , I leave the senior TC to make a contribution to this.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Frank, too late.  You missed it.

25 days is nowhere near enough time to effectively promote a conference of any kind.  Firstly, I'm assuming that it's actually 25 days until the first day of the event, which in practice means you've only really got 21 days or so left because you'll get very few bookings very close to the start - most professionals' diaries will be too full.  You're targeting a large number of states which suggests you're expecting people to fly and stay overnight, so we're also looking at problems with late flights and booking hotels.

However the primary reason I say it's too late is that I would approach this advertising on the Display Network - the GDN - not from Search.  You may get some people searching for conferences to attend but not many and your work will be really cut out for you in terms of Keywords if you're trying to use terms like SEO and conference, etc.  Unless you use Keywords specific to the conference you'll be working against huge competition for other related terms and you'll be getting very few results.

Things like conferences are best advertised well in advance by awareness advertising.  Get the Ads out there on the sites that the sort of people who may attend will visit.  Do it so far in advance that they have time to think about attending, see the Ad multiple times and eventually make up their mind.  There will be costs involved and they may only have a set budget to spend per year on training.  They may need to work around holidays, or other events.

I would have started advertising this event last year.

Anyway, that's not helpful.  My advice is as above.  Look to target sites on a managed placement basis with an attractive image Ad.  Make sure the date is very prominent.  You'll get some sign-ups, I'm sure, but boy you've got your work cut out for you...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

That is why I sugested sub-contracting to a team of at least 2-3 people who handled this type of chalange before and already have a saved campaign in Adwords Editor that only would need some tweaking. It's a good thing that Jon tried to scare you a little, that's what my dentist does in order to prevent me from developing a deeper problem later.

Let's get rid of some more IFs in this particular case .

1) Have you ever advertised any type of event before , in order to get a feel of how slow sign-ups develop ?

2) Is the Conference easy to advertise or hard ?

-  Are there any personalities attending who might draw an audience ?

-  How long is the conference, does it involve a financial effort from the atendees ?

- Do you ofer them some benefits ?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

He wants atleast 150 attendees for this conference..but me being a realist i don't expect miracles to happen but also at the same time considering the time frame that i have been running the campaigns i think my clients expectation are fair enough..

And just to let you know, i've been running campaigns including Re-marketing campaign from the month February..

Adrian, asking you in a causal way sometimes others views helps a lot. So,what would you do if you were in my place..how would you target your potential users..?? 

Frank

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Jon told you where to start. Change your perspective, You won't get far by using the GDN, it has a low CTR, especially because you are not promoting a product or service to large masses , you have a very narrow target. Do you think CEO-s waste their time clicking ads from other websites ?

Use the search network. Build search network + partners campaigns.

Then I would try to brain-storm some ideeas on "what would my potential sign-up search for in the search engine".

Once you establish a list of 5-10 things they might search, search their traffic potential with the keyword tool and if they are not enough, find some more keywords.

For 150 people to sign up you can asume a conversion rate of 0.1 % to be the worst case scenario , this is why you need at least 150 x 100 = 15.000 clicks / 20 days = 750 clicks a day.

If the keywords that you chose are estimated to bring you less than that, search some more.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Adrian, here are my answers:

1] Yes, i advertised the same event few months back...and basically my client used to tell me the number of attendees registered after the conference is finished..

2] Conference is not that hard to advertise and not easy too...its just lying somewhere in the middle..

3]  Yes, there are some big shot attending the conference which are very famous in the field of Digital Marketing.

4] Conference is for 3 days..and yes it requires a financial effort from the attendees.

5] Yes, there is a collaboration with the Hotel...so the booking rates are little bit cheap than the usual rates...

Frank