Guide Me
star_border

Strategy to run a small budget account?

Z a
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Z a
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm learning to run a small budget account now.It's a men's clothes online shop, offering $80 daily budget.

Broadest keywords are cheap but also cost a lot,

Long tailed keywords is expensive and hard to have conversion.

I feel confused now about how to deal with the situation.

Thanks a lot for your helps!

Z a

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello,

with this budget you should focus on campaigns, which can deliver the most conversions. I would not go into search campaigns, but shopping campaigns and/or remarketing campaigns.

Tomáš

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

I actually disagree with @Tomáš Kraus a little bit here. Shopping campaigns can be much more difficult to manage and optimize, due to the fact that all the management and optimization occurs within the merchant center feed. Remarkeing can be great, but you first have to build an audience. If you're just learning AdWords, and/or this is a relatively new business, then it will take some time before you can effectively use these more advanced campaign types.

First things first - An $80 daily budget is not a "small" account. Smiley Happy Depending on circumstances, you may be able to do quite a bit with $80/day.

How broad is your possible target market - Regional, U.S., U.S. and Canada, Worldwide? 

How much history do you have for the business / How long has the company been in business?

Do you have analytics ecommerce tracking in place?

Do you have any sales?

If so, then what is your top selling product or product line?

What is the most valuable high volume page in the behavior reports?

Do you have any search brand recognition, and do competitors target your brand terms?

These are just a few of the questions I would want to answer before I made any assumptions about which campaign types would be best for this account/business. If you can answer some of those questions, then maybe we can help you to work through the account, and find an approach that works for you. Smiley Happy 

Tom

Z a
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Z a
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,Tom.Thank you for your answer.I would like to answer the questions above.

It's a clothing online shop focus on US so far,has been running for less than 1 year.

Analytics ecommerce  tracking is set by others,website coding and promotion team are totally separated.I'm only assigned to run AdWords Account.How to know whether the tracking is set in place or not?
I set up 4 search campaigns according to product lines 2 days ago and so far I get 21 conversion and 1 trade.

the top selling product so far is t-shirt.

I'm assigned to do keywords without brand name by my boss,he wants me to find out other high value keywords except brand name.I don't find it our brand name has been targeted,since our shop is not really famous and big.

It's would be greatly appreciated if you could give me further guidance.

Z a
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Z a
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you,Tomáš Kraus. I'm now learning to work with shopping campaigns and remarketing campaigns, I have a plan to run different kinds of campaign,but it has to get my boss's trust before.

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

In short @Z a, you're screwed. Smiley Happy This is not the way to run a company. This whole arrangement is designed to fail. But, you still have a job to do, so...

"How to know whether the tracking is set in place or not?"

It's not going to happen. One department is so isolated from the other(s) that no one is going to have this conversation. You will never know, and that is by design.

"I set up 4 search campaigns according to product lines 2 days ago and so far I get 21 conversion(s)..."

That's all you're going to get. The "conversions" in AdWords, as setup, regardless of what that actually means.

"the top selling product so far is t-shirt."

That's tough. You know who else sells T-shirts... Walmart. Smiley Happy Not an easy proposition by any means.

"I'm assigned to do..."

That's the real problem you have. You have no control, but all the responsibility. That never works!

What control over this account do you have?

Can you even test ad copy without prior approval?

Ad extensions, networks, targeting, bids, anything?

If you have no control, shopping campaigns aren't going to change anything for the better. Smiley Happy If anything, presenting something that costs more, involves more people, and is NOT guaranteed to produce any results, may result in you being relieved of the position. After all, that is not what you were "assigned" to do. Smiley Happy

It's not a great situation for you. Do what you can with what you have. Then/if things change for the better, consider greater budgets and more advanced campaign types. Smiley Happy

Tom

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

Actually @tomhalejr, from my experience mediocre search campaigns always perform worse than mediocre set shopping campaigns. Search campaigns without proper control can burn(to waste) a lot more of this little budget, than shopping campaigns with elementary settings.

About remarketing it was ment like shopping campaigns with or without remarketing - depends on budget leftover.

Tomáš

[ Edited ]
Z a
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Z a
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

yes, Tom, I can set all things on my boss's AdWords account like bids, networks, keywords, ad test... except budget. My boss also allows me to set up other types of campaigns after I run PPC well. I gradually find a way to work, that is to use broad keywords to impress as much as possible, to write attractive ad text to catch clicks, then a proper landing page to help to increase conversions. That's basic work on AdWords and I hope it result in good when I do it well. How do you think about it? Could you give me some further suggestions?

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

That sounds great, but I wouldn't go for broad match keywords only. You need to take advantage of phrase and exact match keywords, because these are more likely to get you cheaper conversions with more precise targeting. Make sure you check search terms report and add new negative keywords every once and while to get rid of irelevant search queries.

Tomáš

Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner

In terms of budget and expectations - Do you have to spend $80/day, or can you spend up to $80/day? How long do you have to produce "results" at the current budget? If they expect X in return for the daily budget over only a month or so, then perhaps the best thing to do would be to only spend enough of the potential budget to gain some data, and see if you can stretch that total budget out over a longer period of time. If the company is willing to spend $80/day for at least three months, then you will have some more time and leeway to experiment. It's important that everyone involved realize this takes time, and it's always an ongoing process.

I would start small. Focus first and foremost on the product that you sell the most of, and has the most chance of producing results in terms of sales. If you have some data, look over your search terms report, and find the one exact match search terms that generates the best return. Assuming you have analytics ecommerce tracking and some sales, there's always one search term that generates more revenue than any other in the account. The sooner you can find the top of the pyramid term, the sooner you can build the rest of the account around that term. If you don't have any sales data, then sort by clicks, impressions, or whatever KPI everyone agrees has some value.

Put that term in it's own campaign. At this point, you may want to try a search with display select campaign so you can see which network(s) generate the best return. Make the campaign as broad as you can to begin with - Broad match, all devices, all hours, etc. Then set the budget low enough that you know the campaign can't run away from you, and see what kind of volume you generate. If you aren't accruing many impressions at all, you can increase bids or add the next best search terms. If there is more potential inventory than you can afford (even at an $80/day budget), then you can reduce match type (for search), decrease bids, decrease device, location bids, opt out of networks, etc. 

Start small. Build off of what you know has value. Don't assume!

What you shouldn't do is create a campaign from the KW tool, spend your max available budget, not have any kind of conversion strategy, and "expect" results. Smiley Happy Once you know what products and search terms people use to find those products, then you can apply that knowledge to other areas, like creating a shopping feed, and your SEO efforts for example. The only way to get that information is through AdWords, once you have paid for it, make sure you use it! There is no reason to assume anything - AdWords allows you to know. Take the time to start getting some actionable data with a budget you can afford to experiment with, then build out from there.

Tom