Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Strange (and hugely succesful!) Search Term Results

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm currently managing a series of campaigns. I've been looking through the various Search Term results to help with refinement, but came across something bizarre the other day that I cannot figure out.

I have multiple campaigns:

Black Widgets

Brown Widgets

Grey Widgets

Ceramic Widgets

Steel Widgets

In one of these campaigns, Steel Widgets, there is an adgroup with only one active, EXACT, keyword. This receives maybe twenty impressions a day and a handful of clicks. All ok so far. However, two bizarre things have happened. When looking at the search term results, a whole host of search terms are displayed for Black Widgets, Brown Widgets, Grey WIdgets, Ceramic Widgets etc etc, mostly listed as "exact match", some of which definitely appear in other Campaigns\AdGroups and some that certainly don't appear as an exact match. 

This weeks summary of this ad group is the following:

[Superb Ceramic Widgets] - 20 impressions - 5 clicks - 1 conversion (this is the only active keyword)

Total - Display Network (not listed here): 0 impressoins, 0 clicks, 0 conversions

Total - Search 40,181 impressoins, 566 clicks, 15 conversions

It's almost as if other campaigns are leaking through to this one, except I don't see HOW as there is only ONE Exact keyword. We DO have product extensions turned on throughout the account, so the only thing I can think of is that the entire accounts Base\Product Extensions are somehow being reported in this one, solitary ad group.

Has anyone had any experience of this? I'm completely stumped! Man Frustrated

Thanks very much! Smiley Happy

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Strange (and hugely succesful!) Search Term Results

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

UPDATE - apologies for the double post! On further investigation, most of the search terms appearing in this random ad group DO NOT appear in the adwords account. However, they are always in reference to items in our Google Base feed. If I perform a search for these terms I am, almost without fail, presented with a small product ad (along with other retailers) for the product whose keyword has not been entered into Adwords (for example, "Red, Blue & White Widgets").

So it looks like all the products in the Google Base feed that don't necessarily match a specific Adword group are being displayed as product ads, and the stats are being dumped into this adgroup. This is a VERY strange behaviour - has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello RBaxter,

As far as the recent update is concerned about the Exact and Phrase Matches, it was declared by Adwords that from mid May onwards, the advertisers will start seeing the more broader results for Exact and Phrase match keywords which includes singular, plurals, misspellings etc... This could be one of the reason for your Exact match type keyword to trigger ad for other queries.

By default, in your campaign settings these settings will be turned on, but you can turn them off if you don't want these match types to deliver ads in case of singulars, plurals etc.. For that go to campaign settings>>Keyword matching options>>then select do not include close variants.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pankaj,

Many thanks for your reply! From looking into this, it doesn't appear that this is the case in this instance - it's been happening since before May (mid April really), but thank you for your idea! It does seem like it is related to Google Base somehow, but I'm not sure why all the statistics are appearing in the one tiny ad group!

Thanks again

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again,

Please make sure that you have created correct product feeds inside Google Merchant Center account and have linked your both accounts properly in order to avoid data discrepancies. Refer to this for more details.

Pankaj

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Google product ads are not keyword targeted. Google extrapolates relevance from your feed information. I recommend you add the product feed ads in a separate campaign, so you can track the keywords google deems you relevant.

As an aside, while proactive keyword bidng doesn't work, you can still add negative keywords as exclusions.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

This is a huge bug in Google Adwords:

I ran an experiement to test this.  I setup an account with one campaign, one adgroup, one exact match keyword and close variants turned off and I still still got stats like this:

[blue widget]                   20 impressions      5 clicks      .25 CTR 

other search terms         400 impressions       1 click      .0025 CTR

Is this a method to keep everyones quality scores low and cpc high? Using the old method of having two campaigns, one exact match and one phrase|broad match, then mining the phrase|broad match campaign for exact keywords and then adding those exact keywords to the negative keyword list in the phrase|broad campaign and the keyword list on the exact campaign is totally lost.  Because eventually the broad match campaign would be widdled down to nothing and Google profits would dwindle.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hello. Can you apply a "Network (with search partners) segment to your data and tell us which network is bringing you your other 400 impressions? I don't think it's Google Search.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Calin

It is set to Google Search only. Can other's please do this experiement in your accounts? You will have to wait at least 24 hours after running this because of the: "Keep in mind, data for searches in the last 24 hours will always be in this row."  

Thanks

ComputerBob

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

ComputerBob, it may come as a surprise, but this was not the answer I was hoping for Smiley Happy.

You also have no product extensions and no dynamic search ads enabled, right? And the campaign was not started with default settings and then changed to Google Search only, in order to possibly give the system a few minutes to serve ads on Search Partners / Display Network as well, right?

Does it still look strange if you check the data from more than 24 hours back? Say the day before yesterday? Maybe it's a reporting glitch and those numbers will dissappear when the data is fully processed for a certain time period.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.