Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Strange Quality Score Huge Boost.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just found something really bizarre.

So I generally insert keywords always in Lowercase because they're easier to find if I'm doing an exact search to find a specific keyword.

However, I was advertising on acronyms, my ads were extremely specific and I thought "What is going on here?" I thought I'd give it a try and changed the keyword acronym to uppercase, low and behold the quality scores jumped from 3/10 to between 8 and 10/10! 

Surely this is just a weird short term coincidence? AdWords can't be stupid enough the think, for example, that php isn't the same as PHP? 

Anyone experienced this, and have the results lasted? Should I match all keywords to upperclass first letters, as they appear in the ads?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Strange Quality Score Huge Boost.

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

When you edit a keyword, it's not uncommon at all now to see the QS jump up temporarily, then come back down to the historical average. Double check the QS now that some time has passed, is it closer to what it has been for that term?

I saw this same thing when changing KW's from broad to modified broad match. QS's went from 5-6 to all 9-10, then went back down within the hour. I haven't seen such extreme temporary swings until recently, and it is bizarre enough that you definitely take notice when you see it happen. Smiley Happy

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Saw the same thing yesterday. Implemented new keywords, saw a jump in score so spent about an hour working on a new campaign. Now they are all back to 3/10, and not showing. What a waste of time. Seriously, I'm beginning to wonder if it's not all part of the plan to increase the CPC for advertisers.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

It's not a plan to increase CPCs, no. Just an odd quirk of the system.

Quality score is subject to changing several times a day, under the best of circumstances, as it reflects the most recent ad auctions the campaign might have competed in. While it's good to work on raising the overall average, a temporary increase or drop in the score is not unusual and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Just my $0.02.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It was a temparary "glitch", they dropped back down soon after. I thought it was too good to be true. One can only hope. 

Thanks for all the feedback.