Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Strange Issue With QS and First Page Bid

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I'm having a strange issue with QS and First Page Bid whenever I create a new ad group/campaign (search).

Basically, I will add keywords - and no matter what type I add I get low quality score and high first page bid estimate (for example, just recently I added a single exact-match to a very targeted new ad group, and got a $6 estimated first page bid whereas I had been getting clicks for that term via dynamic ads for under 20 cents!)

Once I add the keywords, if I change their match type and then revert back to the original - e.g. "exact" to "phrase" and back to "exact" my quality scores suddenly become very high ... often around 9-10/10 and the below first page bid message disappears.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Strange Issue With QS and First Page Bid

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Sam,

Have you ever checked those keywords again after changing the match types? Most of times what i see is once i change the match type i get a higher QS than i used to have. However if u check back from sometime you will see that you have much lesser QS for the same keywords.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hmm... Interesting, are those "niche" keywords?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, they are - long-tail type keywords (e.g. "xyz widgets for sale")