AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Strange Issue With QS and First Page Bid

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I'm having a strange issue with QS and First Page Bid whenever I create a new ad group/campaign (search).

Basically, I will add keywords - and no matter what type I add I get low quality score and high first page bid estimate (for example, just recently I added a single exact-match to a very targeted new ad group, and got a $6 estimated first page bid whereas I had been getting clicks for that term via dynamic ads for under 20 cents!)

Once I add the keywords, if I change their match type and then revert back to the original - e.g. "exact" to "phrase" and back to "exact" my quality scores suddenly become very high ... often around 9-10/10 and the below first page bid message disappears.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Strange Issue With QS and First Page Bid

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Sam,

Have you ever checked those keywords again after changing the match types? Most of times what i see is once i change the match type i get a higher QS than i used to have. However if u check back from sometime you will see that you have much lesser QS for the same keywords.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hmm... Interesting, are those "niche" keywords?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, they are - long-tail type keywords (e.g. "xyz widgets for sale")