AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Stop Impressions Within Target Area, For Queries About UN-Targeted Area (PHRASE MATCH).

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Greetings! I'd love an experts point of view. This has been REALLY bugging me. I am getting Ad Impressions for my keywords that are valid in search context, but thanks to phrase match "Close Variant", I am serving ad impressions for queries relating to an UN-targeted area. My setup is shown below:

Target Method: "People In, Searching For, Or Viewing Pages On Target Area"
Exclusion Method: "People In, Searching For, Or Viewing Pages On Excluded Area"
Target Area: "CityA"
Excluded Area: “CityB”
Adgroup: Widgets For Sale
Keywords (PHRASE MATCH): Widgets For Sale, Widgets For Sale In CityA

Keyword Triggered (PHRASE MATCH): Widgets For Sale In CityA

Search Queries That Triggered The Keyword:
= Widgets For Sale In CityC
= Widgets For Sale In CityD
= Widgets For Sale In CityE
= Widgets For Sale In CityF
… you get the picture …

The Problem:

- Is the searcher physically located inside the target area? Yes

- Is the searcher searching for the desired service (widgets for sale)? Yes

- Is the searcher looking for the desired service within the current targeted city (CityA)NO!

To be fair, I don't expect google to catch cross location searches for a non-specific location keyword like "Widgets For Sale", But I am not sure how to fix it with geo specific kw's. 

Now for proposed solutions I can think of:
- One could think to add City Names outside of target as a negative kw, or excluded area. But that could easily turn into a nightmare when managing multiple location MCC.
- Switch to Modified Broad Match Type for the Keyword to reflect = +Widgets +For +Sale in +CityA . This seems like it provide desired results, but I would have to go back and painstakingly setup Modified Broad Match for thousands of KW’s.
- Any other thoughts? Anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks a bunch.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ryan S
December 2016

Stop Impressions Within Target Area, For Queries About UN-Targeted Area (PHRASE MATCH).

Top Contributor
# 14
Top Contributor

@Ryan S,

You just need to add the target location with advanced location option as:

Target: People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location

There is no need to add any location exclusion.

If the target location is NYC, per the settings I have shared ads will only show to users who are physically present in NYC, Searching for NYC from any other location.

The ads will not show to users physically in NYC but searching for any other location in the query.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

How To Stop Impressions Within Target Area, For Queries About UN-Targeted Area (PHRASE MATCH).

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

If I understand correctly this scenario - why would a user search about a service, a product he/ she is not physically in or searching about?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

How To Stop Impressions Within Target Area, For Queries About UN-Targeted Area (PHRASE MATCH).

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Ryan S,

If you wish to show the ads only to those users who are physically located in the targeted area then I would recommend to change the settings of the campaign.

Settings > Location options(advanced) >

Target: People in my targeted location

Exclude: People in my excluded location

Edit:

As per the scenario, what I understood is that the setting should be like this:

Target: People in my targeted location

Exclude: People in, searching for, or who show interest in my excluded location

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@MosheTLV A product or service may exist in multiple cities around the nation. For the sake of this scenario, Ill give some fictitious examples:

- Subject lives in CityA, but needs to order funeral services for a family member in CityB. So they search "Funeral Services In CityB".This has potential to serve impressions for advertisers in CityA. 

- Subject lives in CityA, but is relocating to CityB. So they search "Homes For Sale in CityB". This has potential to serve impressions for advertisers in CityA. 

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Archit

This still does not fix the problem:

1). This still does not stop someone from searching for a service in another city, while physically being in the target city.

2). Also, I still need people living in another city, to be able to search for service in target city. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Ryan S;

If you target both A and B and a user in A searching about B, (search by intent, "homes for rent in B") -  then the ad for B will be shown

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@MosheTLV Thank you greatly for the continued replies, but Im afraid my problem is still going unaddressed. 

1) I am not wanting to target both A and B. Just A. (Homes For Rent In CityA)

2) I am getting ad impressions from within the CityA, but for queries targeting homes for rent in other cities. (Homes For Rent In CityZ)

This is just a huge waste of advertising budget. If someone is searching for Homes in CityZ, they surely do not want to see homes in CityA. 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Not sure I understand: A user in A: please give an example of a query which  shown the user who is physically in A and  an ad about the Z (unless the user is searching about Z or shows intent about Z). Pls Check the search terms report for examples.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Guys, What I have understood is:

Target location: NYC

Excluded location: San Jose

User is physically located in NYC and searching for services in San Jose using the Sane Jose in the query.

Ryan want not to trigger the ads for such users.

While, user in Excluded location that is San Jose, if searches for the services in NYC then ads should trigger to those users.

So, its impossible as the location is already excluded.

Regards

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

If the location is excluded ads should not be shown.