AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Stemmings problem

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Example: AdGroup for Plumbers. Phrase match keyword "plumber in Springfield".

Now Adwords thinks it's ok to match queries such as "joes plumbing in springfield" to this keyword, ad is shown and clicked. Of course there is nothing about Joe's Plumbing on the landing page. Money wasted. 

Can't add "plumbing" as a negative. Keywords like "need plumbing contractor in Springfield" will become useless. Can't add ALL plumbing company names either...

Not good. Options? Split into 2 groups, plumbers and plumbing oriented? But Adwords again will decide it's ok to substitute. 

Thanks!

D

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Stemmings problem

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Dmitry, how are things?

When using Phrase Match Type, Google will trigger your ads if the user query have something before or after your phrase (and also including the phrase). There's no way around that.

If you do not want for anything else to fire, you should use Exact Match type instead of Phrase Match, but it's a good thing to have the same keyword with different match types. Watching and adding negative keywords is something that everyone should do periodically, if not weekly, I'd say at leats every 15 days. There's no way to escape, and this also make you keep track on what is going on with your campaign.

One cool thing is a report Search Terms Report. Sorry in advance if you already know, but if you don't, it's a very cool place to discover new keywords to add, and also keywords to include as negatives. I keep an eye on this report every week myself Smiley Happy
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Re: Stemmings problem

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Dmitry,

Leandro has suggested you the best strategies to optimize the campaign.

I want to add some facts that unfortunately you can't rid of.

All the keyword match types in adwords include close variations, so you can't bound the ads for stemming and other close variations even in exact match type.

For your reference:
Close variations include misspellings, singular and plural forms, acronyms, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), abbreviations, and accents. So there's no need to separately add close variations as keywords.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’