Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

(Standard Delivery vs Accelerated Delivery) + bid management software

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, 

Before formulating my question, I would like to point out I always use "accelerated" for the delivery method in campaign settings. I always thought it is the best option to locate campaign growth and it is easier to optimise. At the same time, I always use Adobe Adlens or Marin to optimise bids.

Last week I made an analysis to review the performance after I changed the settings to "standard" and realised it was working better. So I kept the change and everybody happy. Later I started thinking this option would be in conflict with any bid management tools since they also optimise by hours as Google's Standard option does. I don't want to confuse Google's algorithm or Marin/Adobe's algorithm and influence in wrong decisions. 

What are your views on this?

Thanks for your answersº

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
June 2016

Re: (Standard Delivery vs Accelerated Delivery) + bid management software

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @3464236saf the decision between Accelerated and Standard depends upon how your budget is being spent.  If your daily budget is never completely exhausted (for example, if you have a daily budget of $100 and your spend is never higher than $50) then there is no difference between Accelerated and Standard delivery.  However, if your budget is often fully used and you see warnings for being "Limited by Budget", then there will be a difference.  Accelerated will show your Ads whenever possible and since your budget is limited, this means your Ads are likely to stop showing completely at some point during the day.  Standard delivery won't show your Ad every time it's possible, but will spread the show of Ads throughout your entire schedule.  Once more, this difference only exists when budgets are limited.  

Unless you have a really good reason for showing your Ads only in the first part of your schedule, Standard delivery will give you better results and more balanced data to work from.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi,

Please go through the difference between these 2 ads delivery settings and how adwords system behaves with both:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/37672?hl=en

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello,

I don't know how third party tools would actually access your account and make the bid adjustment. All I can say is that standard delivery is best for most of the ideal situations and accelerated would show your ads at a faster pace, where you might run out of daily budget as well. If after analysing the account, you think that standard delivery is doing great, then you should optimize your account in that direction. I can't comment on 3rd party tool behaviour since I haven't been using them. Also you need to understand that whatever changes you make, give sometime to the AdWords system to adapt it and show you the results. If you keep on changing the strategies quite often, results might not be optimal.

Pankaj

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
As Pankaj said this is a situation that always depend and which dont have a static answer.

However according to my experience when I do more brand related campaigns I always tend to use accelerated bidding with phrase or broad match modifiers. I do this because I know most of the traffic comes in is relavant and I don't have much to worry about. In terms of broader generic terms I do use standard method
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
June 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @3464236saf the decision between Accelerated and Standard depends upon how your budget is being spent.  If your daily budget is never completely exhausted (for example, if you have a daily budget of $100 and your spend is never higher than $50) then there is no difference between Accelerated and Standard delivery.  However, if your budget is often fully used and you see warnings for being "Limited by Budget", then there will be a difference.  Accelerated will show your Ads whenever possible and since your budget is limited, this means your Ads are likely to stop showing completely at some point during the day.  Standard delivery won't show your Ad every time it's possible, but will spread the show of Ads throughout your entire schedule.  Once more, this difference only exists when budgets are limited.  

Unless you have a really good reason for showing your Ads only in the first part of your schedule, Standard delivery will give you better results and more balanced data to work from.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,

I normally do not have the campaigns in "Limited by Budget", so it is why I set them in Accelerated. But the main question in this thread is whether "Standard" option is compatible with "bid management tools" or not. The bidding tool changes the budget every hour, so I am wondering if "standard" will conflict with the bidding tool.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @3464236saf as I said, if your Campaigns are limited by budget, you'd normally find that the Standard setting is the better option.  Very few businesses have a model that benefits from Accelerated Delivery; while this will give you high Ad visibility while it runs, it'll give you zero visibility from the time the budget expires and that's not a good thing.  In fact, I struggle to think of any business where the Accelerated option is better than Standard.  

In terms of conflict with a budget change tool, it's likely that this will confuse both Accelerated and Standard, to some extent.  Changing your budget during the day can mean an over or underspend because of the delay in reported data.  Personally I'd recommend that budget changes should happen only once per day, at the beginning of the scheduled period.

So, I'd recommend using Standard delivery and setting your budget control to work only daily, or at most twice a day, rather than hourly.

Can you explain the need for an hourly change in budget?

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,

We do change the budget hourly in some campaigns with a script and others are fixed but bids managed with a bidding tool. In these circustances I believe the "Standard" delivery method option will conflict with the script but not with the tool. The reason we change the budget is strategic, but I don't have a real argument to expalin the reason we do it like this.

Regards