Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Splitting the paid adwords on top and bottom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

What are your thoughts on the way Google splits paid ads, some on the top then organics in the middle and paid ads on the bottom of page? Why don't they just make the paid ad section (shaded section) larger on top since we are paying to advertise in the best positions on page and put the organics( which are free) beneath those. I understand if people are reading top to bottom, but shouldn't all the paid ads be on top?

Lani

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Splitting the paid adwords on top and bottom

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Iani,

During the past few years Google have been engaged in experimenting with various arrangements. The main objective of the tests is to identify configurations which are the most likely to grab users' attention in bulk. Whenever decision is made in favor of a new arrangement it's superiority has already been proven by statistically significant data. (Google is interested in clicks.)

Best,

Lakatos

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Some people are also more inclined to click in the organic space, or maybe even don't like the ads. A lot of research goes into how and where ads are displayed. Keep in mind that as the largest search engine, Google must always maximize the user experience or they would likely start losing market share.

Not all user queries can be solved with the intent of the advertiser.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I can definitely state that I am very unhappy with the way they are messing around with the display. For the longest time I have been upset that Google will hand out free advertising to auction sites that compete with my PAID ad.  Now, they are screwing around with the display in such a way that the those getting FREE advertising are actually getting better exposure than the ad I pay for.  I am just outraged by this.

About a week ago I filled out a google survey.  The survey mentioned nothing about my thoughts on any of the above.  But they did have the audacity to ask if I thought Google cared about my business. What a joke.  I am on the verge of trashing the adwords account altogether. Google is just another company that has become too big to care about anything but it's own reflection.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Milo, What exactly do you mean by "free advertising"? I suppose if you drop Google then you will be even less likely to complete with others in your space. You might be better off to spend some time thinking of a way to become more competitive amongst those "free advertisers". There are folks here that would be more than willing to assist you if you could provide some specifics to your issue in a new thread.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Milo,

I definitely do have some sympathy towards what you're saying. Running a few campaigns for local service providers (like pizza shops or remodelling) I also bump into voucher guys all the time. They use their $100 vouchers mostly in an unprofessional way. Hence I need to bid higher to keep the ad position and they also deteriorate my qaulity scores since Google-wide CTR% stats have a negative impact on the keywords to a degree that I can't balance out alone.

I for one would prefer Google to discontinue their voucher distribution policy, however, we have to see too that there are various other factors that Google needs to consider. The marketing guys are making lots of efforts so as to to acquire more advertisers and bring up a new net savvy generation of online advertisers. It seems that at this point that is a more important argument for Google than all my rants put together.

Best,

Lakatos