AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Splitting Accounts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Would be great to get some feedback for the community on this. We are running a large campaign based on keywords broken into three main segments, Brand, Non Brand and Competitors. Brand refers to our own term. Non Brand refers to generic terms. Competitor refers to our competitors brand terms.

For us, we're able to be profitable advertising on Competitor terms. The problem is, they have huge volume with extremely low CTRs. As such, there is a concern that even though they are profitable independently, they are hurting our overall Account Quality Score and therefore our Non Brand activity.

It's been suggested to us before that we could set up a seperate account and localise our Competitor terms there, thereby allowing us to continue advertising on those keywords but without the negative knock-on effect. However, we can't find anything about it online and would be keen to hear any thoughts on it.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Splitting Accounts - Double serving ; one business - one account policy

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello irishdavew and welcome to our Community;

Setting a separate account, would be a violation of AdWords policy: One business - One account, commonly known as the "double serving" clause.

You'll have to work on your account and campaigns to improve your QS. There are many techniques to do that. I would recommend that you look into the wiki section of this community. You'll find many articles discussing that.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Splitting Accounts - Double serving ; one business - one account policy

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello irishdavew and welcome to our Community;

Setting a separate account, would be a violation of AdWords policy: One business - One account, commonly known as the "double serving" clause.

You'll have to work on your account and campaigns to improve your QS. There are many techniques to do that. I would recommend that you look into the wiki section of this community. You'll find many articles discussing that.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Splitting Accounts

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Moshe is absolutely correct, don't risk getting banned by trying to create two accounts for the same site.

Good on you for NOT trusting such un-sound advice. Smiley Happy

If the competitor terms is where the majority of your profit is, why lose money by not advertising on those terms, because QS "may" be affected for some other terms in the account? 

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm 100% sure that won't be a problem for us. I think we'll be able to do it within Google policies. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is because we won't be double serving. We'll be using one campaign to target one set of keywords and another to target a different.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi irishdavew,

You are right in that technically you are not double serving as you have different keywords in different accounts but that solution will not help you with your quality scores (QS) as quality score is also calculated based on your URL history. So if your QS is low in the new account it will still impact the QS in the old account. 

To sum up - save yourself the hassle and leave everything in one account.

More on QS here: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2454010

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Karl,

Thanks for your reply. I was under the impression that the only URL google tracked as Display URL. Does Display URL track over multiple accounts? 

Are you saying that Google is tracking the destination URL? If that's the case, it wouldn't be an issue for us because of the sheer amount of tracking within the URL that there is pretty much no history whatsoever. 

Any help would be much appreciated,

Dave.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The problem I'm encountering is that Google is using the Account level CTR quite heavily whenever I add a new long tail keyword or new keyword at all. This happens even if I use a different Display URL.

If I separate out the accounts, run the new account extremely well, maintain a high level account CTR, ensure I maintain a separation of Display URLs, would I not see Quality Score improvements in the new account?

The intention would be to keep Competitors in it's current account and to move Brand and Non Brand. Start with Brand first, leave it a week to let the account build up a very high level CTR. Then slowly shift the Non Brand keywords into the account, maintaining high CTRs and QS throughout, eventually leaving me with Competitors separated.

Re: Serving same domain with different accounts.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I somehow "have the feeling" that Karl's post was not correctly understood, and if irishdavew serves the same domain, using two accounts - a bot will find this as a violation - the outcome will be account suspension.

-Moshe

Re: Serving same domain with different accounts.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am 100% sure that Google will not stop this.