AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Splitted my Campaign into smaller campaigns, clicks/imps dropped

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

I was quite satisfied with my recent results I had with two of my campaigns, each including about 12 ad groups. To enable a better management of the ad group performances I decided to split each of the campaigns into 4 campaigns having ~3 ad groups. Each ad group btw has about 2-3 ads and 2-4 keywords.

Now I have the problem that since I did that the overall performance has dropped significantly and I do not even get Impressions and clicks anymore (way less than before) and it is already three weeks ago. Does Google still need time to run the new campaigns or are there other problems, e.g. having too less ad groups in the campaigns?

Help is appreciated Smiley Happy.

Best regards,

Frank

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Frank O
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Frank O;

AdWords is a system which best behaves at a steady state.  Otherwise performances diverge. To let the system "move" through a transition period towards a new steady state, I would not recommend to revert now to the old campaign, but rather increase the bid (moderate increase) until the system reaches a new steady state. Though the outcome is an  increase in spending,  I don't have a better recommendation to  return to past performances. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

The switches you mentioned should not have an impact on the performance of the adgroup or keyword.

Make sure your campaign settings are set to what you had previously

Make sure your campaign budgets are set high enough so your ads are showing throughout the day

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Frank O

Google is a bit ambiguous on that, but Google is  clear that when you create a new campaign with new ads the QS is reset and you have a performance impact.

>>"Note also that breaking keywords into new ad groups or campaigns (without changing the ad text or landing page) has no effect on their Quality Score. But moving a keyword to a new ad group that has new ad text could change your Quality Score, because that can affect user experience

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6167132

>>"You will now have a new campaign that will have the same structure and settings as your original campaign (including your targeting settings, bid strategies, negative keywords and more). However, it will not have any campaign, keyword or ad history. If you want to keep both campaigns active, we recommend keeping your original campaign running (so it continues with the history it’s already generated) and modifying the new campaign.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3400898?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@MosheTLV Thanks for your help and reply! When I leave the original campaign running, I have most of the keywords doubled and the ads because they are destributed on the three additional campaigns. I also lowered the Max CPC because my budget was always at its limit - now there are almost three times less clicks and impressions overall. I am really not sure to go back to my original campaign and reactivate the paused ad groups which are now distributed on the three new campaigns and delete the new campaigns.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Frank O
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Frank O;

AdWords is a system which best behaves at a steady state.  Otherwise performances diverge. To let the system "move" through a transition period towards a new steady state, I would not recommend to revert now to the old campaign, but rather increase the bid (moderate increase) until the system reaches a new steady state. Though the outcome is an  increase in spending,  I don't have a better recommendation to  return to past performances. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Alright, thank you @MosheTLV!