AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Split testing 2 ads and 2 landing pages at the same time?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I was wondering if its possible to test 2 ads and 2 landing pages at the same time and can do this. Or is it better to first split test the ads and then when I have a good ad start testing landing pages. My goal is to increase conversions

Thanks, 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Split testing 2 ads and 2 landing pages at the same time?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Romero04; welcome;

This is a nice question;

First comes the ad (the click), and only afterwards the conversion (on the landing page). Thus, I would break the test into two parts: the ad-copy for the ad that performs better, and a separate test for the landing page that converts better.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Romero04,

I'm going to give you a different point of view than Moshe.

The real goal of your advertising campaign should be conversions. One ad could get more clicks at a lower conversion rate then the other. One ad may convert better with page A than page B. What you have is a 4-way split test:

Ad A, Page A

Ad A, Page B

Ad B, Page A

Ad B, Page B

If you split test only the ad copy and optimize for CTR, you may not have optimized for conversions.

My answer would be "that depends". It depends on the number of impressions, clicks and conversions you get during your test period. To run a 4-way split test, you would need a minimum number of impressions, clicks and conversions for your data to be actionable. AdWords weighs your account performance more heavily that "all accounts" once you reach 1000 impressions. For QS based on CTR; that's fine, and if all we were looking to improve was QS, 1000 impressions for each test would be fine, too.

But we are looking beyond CTR and QS here to conversions. If out of those 1000 impressions you get only one or two conversions, you will need many more impressions, clicks and conversion before your data becomes actionable, maybe even 10 times as many. So, we're looking at 10,000 impressions for each test group. If you are not getting that kind of volume with your campaign in a reasonable amount of time (I would say within 30 days or so), then I would follow Moshe's suggestion.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hmm.... Very interesting point...

>> One ad may convert better with page A than page B...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’