Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Split keywords to ad groups by CPC

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm thinking of splitting keywords to ad groups by CPC of each keywords. I'm using adwords planner for keyword research and choosing right CPC before I start adwords campaign. For example I've found 5 keywords (children toys) whose CPC range from $0.8 to $2. I would like to put them in specific ad group based on their price. I have another keywords whose CPC range from $0.2 to $0.6. I would like also to put them to different ad group. Is it good idea to split keywords to ad groups by recommended bid from keyword planner? I'm planning to set up adwords rules and use it in AdWords to manage ad groups. I think it could be useful to separate keywords by their price so adwords rule could be more effective. Each ad group could have own specific rule with specific settings for specific CPC range.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Split keywords to ad groups by CPC

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Peter C;

I am not quite sure what a benefit will you gain by having the bid "per ad-group".  You could change the bid for a specific keyword within the ad-group.

Since  (generally speaking) the keyword which  triggers the ad is the one with the highest ad-rank, I don't see the advantage in this structure;

If you want to separate keywords into different  ad-groups, then  I would consider separating KWs by match types. This would make more sense  in terms of bidding "per ad-group", and by  writing ad copies which are   "tightly themed" with the match type.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Peter,

I agree with Moshe - I don't think there's value in having keywords grouped by CPC. Beyond that, the Keyword Planner isn't always accurate in it's CPC estimates, so you'd likely find that they keywords you grouped together weren't as similar in CPC as you expected. In addition, you'd likely find that over time, you'd want to bid up certain keywords and decrease bids on others. Keyword bids are constantly changing. What I'm saying is, any bid similarities across keyword groups likely wouldn't last long.

It's more important that your ad groups have groups of keywords that are highly similar to ensure that the ad copy is relevant and accurate for all keywords that may trigger the ad.

You can use filters & labels to support your rules, so it isn't necessary to have your campaigns structured for that purpose.

I hope this helps!

Amy

AmyBishopMarketing.com
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Peter C
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Peter,

Adding to Moshe's and Amy's great responses,

You certainly want to group keywords by their similarities rather than cost.
This is because keywords in Ad Groups share the same Ad(s).

Ad relevancy will affect your click-through rates and is important to quality score.  Improved quality scores for your keywords can help your CPC concerns.

The higher your quality scores the better your ad position and lower your cost per click.

So you may want to switch your focus from CPC and rules creations to click-through rates on Ads and making your advertising flow user-friendly first (ie keyword->ad->landing page experience).

Quality Score,
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/140351?hl=en

Concerning rules, I wouldn't implement them too soon
You'll want to be hands-on at least early on so you can get a sense of your performance and competition.
As Amy pointed out, CPC estimates in the keyword planner are only so accurate and again are also determined by your individual performance.
And you'll want to collect a fair amount of data to base your rule strategies on!

Good luck!

Justin Fuchs

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hello Peter,

I addition to great responses above, I want to share my preferable account structure. I am creating separate ad.group for each keyword in my account to have more flexibilty in optimization, also I am splitting campaigns into broad and exact to reallocate budget in a smart way.

Hope you will get benefit from my suggestions.
Cheers,
Alexey
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Amazing, I've read article about keyword research on Unbounce: You’re Doing AdWords Wrong. They recommend to create a new ad group for each keyword. It' exactly what you're saying.

I've also tried to create one campaign according to their recommendation and I've splitted ad groups to three campaigns: phrase match, exact match and modified broad match. In campaign with phrase match and modified broad match I excluded keywords from exact match campaign. I've found that this structure is more useful for campaign management. It's called Strategic segmentation.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Yes, that's good references. You are moving in right direction. Also I am not using phrase match. When adwords introduced modified broad match, phrase became useless in most of the cases. So it's enough to have 2 types of campaigns - modified broad match and exact match campaigns.
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency