Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Split Testing Site Designs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We have had a new design of our site done, however I don't really want to upload it until I have given it a test run.

Is it possible to test two completely different site designs through adwords?

I thought if I put the new design in a sub domain, sub folder or a different domain (we use the .co.uk so I could put it on the .com) then send a % of the visitors to the new design to see if it converts.

Just to clear any misunderstandings up, we are not talking about a different landing page, we are talking about a completely different design. So can this be done through adwords?

Thanks

Steve

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stephen H
September 2015

Re: Split Testing Site Designs

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Stephen.

First of all you should avoid going against the "Mirroring and Framing" policy: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/190437?hl=en&ref_topic=1626336

That's why you should stick to the same domain. I'd go for a subfolder with the new design and if that can't work maybe a subdomain, though that does not look quite ok for the end-user. I think that either a subfolder or a URL parameter + some URL rewriting can get you where you want to.

From then on you can use AdWords Campaign Experiments (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2385204?hl=en) and use one (or a set) of ad groups for the control group and another (a clone of the control one, with the same ads - except for the destination URLs-, keywords, bids, etc.) for the experiment group.

You can choose percentages in 10% increments, starting from 10/90 up to 90/10.

I like the idea of testing a new design like this, by accelerating traffic to it.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Calin,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that's what I thought about the subfolder probably being okay.

Technically the other domain would be best, but I don't want it to harm our main site so I'll set it up in the sub folder tonight.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I'm glad it helped. Let us know if all works smoothly.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.