AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Split Testing Site Designs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We have had a new design of our site done, however I don't really want to upload it until I have given it a test run.

Is it possible to test two completely different site designs through adwords?

I thought if I put the new design in a sub domain, sub folder or a different domain (we use the .co.uk so I could put it on the .com) then send a % of the visitors to the new design to see if it converts.

Just to clear any misunderstandings up, we are not talking about a different landing page, we are talking about a completely different design. So can this be done through adwords?

Thanks

Steve

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stephen H
September 2015

Re: Split Testing Site Designs

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Stephen.

First of all you should avoid going against the "Mirroring and Framing" policy: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/190437?hl=en&ref_topic=1626336

That's why you should stick to the same domain. I'd go for a subfolder with the new design and if that can't work maybe a subdomain, though that does not look quite ok for the end-user. I think that either a subfolder or a URL parameter + some URL rewriting can get you where you want to.

From then on you can use AdWords Campaign Experiments (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2385204?hl=en) and use one (or a set) of ad groups for the control group and another (a clone of the control one, with the same ads - except for the destination URLs-, keywords, bids, etc.) for the experiment group.

You can choose percentages in 10% increments, starting from 10/90 up to 90/10.

I like the idea of testing a new design like this, by accelerating traffic to it.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stephen H
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Stephen.

First of all you should avoid going against the "Mirroring and Framing" policy: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/190437?hl=en&ref_topic=1626336

That's why you should stick to the same domain. I'd go for a subfolder with the new design and if that can't work maybe a subdomain, though that does not look quite ok for the end-user. I think that either a subfolder or a URL parameter + some URL rewriting can get you where you want to.

From then on you can use AdWords Campaign Experiments (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2385204?hl=en) and use one (or a set) of ad groups for the control group and another (a clone of the control one, with the same ads - except for the destination URLs-, keywords, bids, etc.) for the experiment group.

You can choose percentages in 10% increments, starting from 10/90 up to 90/10.

I like the idea of testing a new design like this, by accelerating traffic to it.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Calin,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that's what I thought about the subfolder probably being okay.

Technically the other domain would be best, but I don't want it to harm our main site so I'll set it up in the sub folder tonight.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I'm glad it helped. Let us know if all works smoothly.