AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Split Campaign or Not?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello: I am a general practice lawyer. I have 1 campaign with 8 ad groups. Some have high QS others not so much. Will it benefit me by moving the lesser performing groups into their own campaign(s) vis a vis the total cost I pay?
3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael S P
September 2015

Re: Split Campaign or Not?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I agree with -Theresa - there is no direct benefit - it makes little difference to your spend if you pay for a click on a poorly performing keyword in one campaign or another... however.... it does make more sense to put as much budget as you can intothose keywords that are giving you the greatest return.

I think of it like rings in a lake - concentrate your budget on those parts of your campaign that work best for you. If you then have budget left - widen to the next ring and so on. Sometimes your best keywords just can't produce the volume necessary to use up your budget - but if they can it makes sense to spend it there.

note: I say "works best for you" which may not be the same as : "has the highest CTR" or "has the lowest cost per click" - think about that traffic that is best for you in terms of how easy it is to convert into paying business, how good the profit margins are, how much work it is going to take, etc. Once you can get this kind of overview perspective, things on the ground often look quite different....

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Good morning and welcome to the AdWords Community forum.

While there is no direct benefit to segregating low-QS keywords, that doesn't mean it's a bad strategy. By moving those to separate Ad Groups (or a separate campaign, although that's not really necessary), you're able to test different bids, different ad text, and even different landing pages to see if you can improve performance on those keywords and increase the quality scores.

At the same time, moving those keywords so that they can be monitored separately will help you to determine what the ROI for those clicks are--whether or not they produce a good enough return to make the time and effort needed to optimize performance worthwhile.

My $0.02. Hope it helps!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael S P
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I agree with -Theresa - there is no direct benefit - it makes little difference to your spend if you pay for a click on a poorly performing keyword in one campaign or another... however.... it does make more sense to put as much budget as you can intothose keywords that are giving you the greatest return.

I think of it like rings in a lake - concentrate your budget on those parts of your campaign that work best for you. If you then have budget left - widen to the next ring and so on. Sometimes your best keywords just can't produce the volume necessary to use up your budget - but if they can it makes sense to spend it there.

note: I say "works best for you" which may not be the same as : "has the highest CTR" or "has the lowest cost per click" - think about that traffic that is best for you in terms of how easy it is to convert into paying business, how good the profit margins are, how much work it is going to take, etc. Once you can get this kind of overview perspective, things on the ground often look quite different....

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
This year-old thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question or comment.

This will help other forum members to both see and understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!