AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Solution for campaigns for similar products?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I work for a theatre company that operates two venues where we often have different works running simultaneously. I’ve been managing Search, Display, and ReTargeting campaigns for our plays for about a year now with great success. Though, due to the nature of our business I’ve run into an issue that I hope to pose to the group.

First, I’m working off of the assumption that different campaigns in the same account can potentially work against each other if they’re set up with the same keywords. For instance, if I’m running separate Search campaigns for two plays running at the same time, it’s hurtful to have them both bidding on the same keywords. Is that true?

If so, has anyone successfully come up with a way to run campaigns for products of a similar type being sold by one company? My workaround so far has been to run one campaign but offer A/B ads. So the Search keyword of “theatre tickets” could potentially trigger one of two ads. For the most part both products’ ads have been served evenly but I worry that this method means that neither will truly excel as they’re cannibalizing each other. Also, it means that billing reconciliation is a bit of a nightmare since the two-joined-as-one campaigns are often in different spending phases.

I hope all that makes sense. Looking forward to hearing what people have to say. Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Solution for campaigns for similar products?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Welcome to the club...

First and foremost, you should implement location targeting (Remember the old rule? "Location, Location, Location"), to ensure the ads are showing in the proper designated geographics, and let's not forget "Location Extension".

Also, try "long tail" like "NYC theater tickets" - "NJ Theater tickets".

Product ads, may be a little of an issue, where i would also optimize the landing page with kind of location form, where the customer fills in his location and is directed to his theatre...

Let us know.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for the reply!

Location, I'm afraid, isn't the solution- at least not in this fashion. The two venues are a block apart in the same city so they're selling to the same population. I'm already geotargeting all our campaigns to our metro area anyway.

To be specific, I'm in Washington D.C. and our customer base is in the city, and in the states of Maryland and Virginia. My Search campaigns have several ad groups that are each broken out by region to catch those region-specific searches. So "DC theatre tickets", "Maryland theatre tickets", "Virginia theatre tickets", etc, etc.

But the initial issue remains, we're selling two similar products (plays) at the same time to the same group of people. I've also tried going for specific product themes if the plays are different enough - i.e. one is a comedy and one is a tragedy - but search terms just aren't consistently that specific. People are searching more broadly and not using terms like "DC theatre tragedies" and the like.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey, it's getting though...

In short what i'd do, is define the business model difference between the 2, and market like this.

Meaning, why indeed are you advertising em seperately? there must be a difference noticable enough to be worth the divided effort, define this and use it as your USP in Adwords.

Let me know.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi PatientRock,

Any way you set this up, the ads will compete with each other,. whether in the same ad group, the same campaign, same account, different accounts. There are limits. The company has 2 different theaters located close together. You mentioned "billing reconciliation", so I'm thinking each theater pays for it's own expense of advertising.

Sounds like each theater is a somewhat independent business being run by the same owner. This could be a case where 2 accounts is a better solution. I suggest you contact Google (use the Contact AdWords button above) and ask if you can have 2 accounts in this case. If the two theaters are separate businesses, this is allowed. Each theater would need it's own website, billing information and physical address.

If they are considered to be one business, you will need to get permission from Google to use 2 accounts or you risk violating the double-serving policy.

Your keywords will still compete, but at a different part of the process. Instead of competing in the initial "mini-auction" within your account to determine which keyword will enter the general auction, each account will do the "mini-auction" and each wil have one keywrod entered into the general auction for the impression. There is a possiblity both ads will show.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Figured as much.

You have pretty much got it- the company owns both venues but each play has its own marketing budget and goals which is why I have to split apart billing. Since it's very much the same company I wouldn't be able to create that second business account.

Well, my A/B ad solution isn't the worst thing so I'll keep at that. I also create a joint landing page so if one play's ad gets served, the other play is still at least getting an impression if the person clicks through.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi PatientRock,

Wish I had your patience! That's why I'm suggesting you contact Google and get permission to create separate accounts for the 2 venues. The setup sounds too risky to go ahead and create 2 accounts for seemingly the same business. In the past, exceptions were granted for very large accounts that had a need for more capacity than the former limts on number of campaigns, ad groups, keywords, etc. It at least seems possible you could be granted permission to run 2 accounts.

Landing pages showing events at both theathers sounds like a good alternative. Do you advertise the plays by name, or just the venue(s)?

Hope this helps.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

We advertise the plays themselves with some institutional branding. The venues themselves are largely irrelevant as we want customer focus to be on the brand/product not the buildings.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi PatientRock,

If you want to keep the billing separate then there is no way other than the one suggested by Pete (Two separate accounts - if possible)

Because if you are going to use a single landing page with information about both the plays, then a visitor can choose either one, irrespective of the campaign and keyword which triggered the ad.

And if one play is preferred over the other by more visitors, then that is again going to make problems for you.

You are in the same situation as a multiplex owner advertising with generic terms. A visitor can choose any one of the movies running.

In your present setup as the ads of both the plays are rotating, they get equal chance as each visitor is going to specific landing pages after click.

If you have separate landing pages for each play then you can try using them as two separate site link extensions (If your ad is consistently achieving higher ad positions) with the joint landing page.

This will help users to choose a play of their interest. But every time the play changes, you need to change the landing page and more importantly Site Links.

But nothing other than two separate accounts will help you with your billing issue.

Hope this helps.

Info