Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Small Town Unique keywords = Lower CPC = Low Search Volume

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As suggested by Google, I used unique keywords to lower my CPC. But it triggered a "low search volume" message.

The problem is that it is a business in a medium sized mountain town (13,000 people) and when I used a popular keyword and then added the small town name it had a low search volume. However, the services offered are directly targeted to the type of people in that small town (and nearby towns) and have a hard time thinking nobody searches for those services in that town. 

So small town businesses can't use their small town name because of low search volume? Seems Google is excluding small towns, shouldnt Google just let me try for those keywords instead of excluding them from search? Or might it generate 1 cent clicks?

Sigh.

Advice??

Example "dentist" has high CPC

So one might try for "dentist Podunk AZ" (Podunk is a mostly a wealthy educated town)

But Podunk, AZ only has 13,000 residents so according to google not enough people search for dentists in Podunk. Which might be true comapred to NYC, but people in Podunk still need to go to the dentist. 

3 Expert replyverified_user

Hello. You may want to use location targeting (maybe comb...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello. You may want to use location targeting (maybe combined to keywords targeting locations) for what you want to achieve.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722043&topic=1713941&ctx=topic

If you target Podunk AZ, and use the keyword "dentist", and the system detects the searcher as based in Podunk (it's not 100% perfect), then your ads will show for anybody looking for dentist and located there.

Maybe those people don't use location keywords in their searches, which is why the system has marked those search queries as "low search volume".

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Hi Britlandco,   Don1t care much for tha message, just go...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Britlandco,

Don't care much for that message, just go ahead. When people in your town are searching you'll be matched and showing the ad no matter whether or not that message is displayed. Don't take it for discrimination or exclusion, it's just a message which is often times useful. It's likely meaningless in your case since you probably know the town you reside at. Even without getting a message about a small populationSmiley Very Happy

Best,

Lakatos

Hi Britlandco,   I would tend to agree with Calin on this...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Britlandco,

I would tend to agree with Calin on this. Set geo-targeting your local area, then leave the town name out of your keywords. Set targeting to include "search intent". If someone outside of the target area includes the town name and your keyword in the query, your ad will be eligible to show. Likewise, if someone within your target area uses your keyword without the town name, your ad is also eligible to show.

My understanding of the "Low Search Volume" means your ad will not show unless a number of people search for that keyword. It does not mean that if one person searches for that keyword your ad will show. But I could be wrong about that.

Geo-targeting uses a number of "signals" to determine location. If the device is a laptop, geo-targeting primarily uses the IP address. If there are no ISP's in your town, or it people living in your town use a service that is not located in your town, the system will not recognize the user as being wihtin your target area. In that case, you may need to expand your target to include popular ISPs in your town.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

I do have location target targeting setup. But the CPC fo...

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I do have location target targeting setup. But the CPC for "dentist" is something like $7.50. $7.50 is high for a "low search volume" message in Podunk... WTH?

As for ignoring the message, it says it won't even show if someone happens to type in "dentist in podunk"?

PS THANKS ALL

Always be testing, britlandco :).

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Always be testing, britlandco Smiley Happy.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

One technique I've found works pretty well for situations...

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni

One technique I've found works pretty well for situations like this is to have a campaign with a small geo radius and then use these kinds of phrase matches:

"dentist in"

"dentists in"

Maybe that will work for you.  Check your search term reports on a regular basis.  Add any negative matches and/or exact matches based on the results.

Try Modified Broad Match

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Try setting the match type to Broad match with modifier. Phrase match limits it to those words in that order with any words added to the begining or the end. If you set it as: 

+dentist +podunk

You will get a higher search volume because it will pick up 

podunk dentist

dentist in podunk

dentist podunk az

podunk az dentist

I found that a lot of my low search volume words were changed to eligible when I made the change to Broad match with modifier. 

>> it says it won't even show if someone happens to type...

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

>> it says it won't even show if someone happens to type in "dentist in podunk"? <<

I have quite a number of campaigns where many keywords have the same message about low search volume. Still I'm getting some impressions, clicks and conversions. Not much but enough to justify keeping the keywords and have no worries.

Wow. Been studying Adwords for weeks using their online s...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Wow. Been studying Adwords for weeks using their online study guide, which is obviously WAY out of date, because I had not heard about the "broad match modifier" feature until now. I do see that the Adwords support center has information about this. GRRR. Will try that. Thanks