AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Sitelinks Question (no clicks)

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Sorry - I feel like I'm spamming the forums but I just have so many questions.

I have been using Sitelinks on my ads. When I segment by click type, I haven't received a single sitelink click (and about 40 head link clicks). Is it still indirectly valuable to have sitelinks?  e.g. maybe you get more space/coverage for your ad? Or it gives your ad more trust?

I guess what I'm asking is if there are any obvious negatives for having sitelinks that aren't receiving clicks? Or is it usually just good to have some sort of extensions enabled if eligible?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by PPCBossman (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Sitelinks Question (no clicks)

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi birchlore, I wouldn't worry about asking questions, thats what the community is for & it's good to see members like yourself being active after joining.

I have found the actual sitelinks get a low CTR in comparison to the headline (across every account I have every looked at).

I don't see any downside to this though. You are giving the user the option to go to a diffrerent area of the site BUT the headline should already be pointing them to the most relevant page for their search query. If your sitelink provides them with just that little bit more info, they may click on it instead.

The major benefit that I see is that you can get additional information in front of the user and because the ad gets more space on the page it really boosts the CTR compared to ads that aren't running them (just check the CTR stats in the extensions tab and you'll see how different it is).

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
In my experience, looking at clients of different kinds, sitelink CTR is usually low, around 1%, so 0% CTR for sitelinks after 40 title clicks doesn´t unnormal at all.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi birchlore,

As it was previously mentioned, even if your sitelinks don't drive any clicks you will have more real estate and they will boost your ad CTR.

Another important point to add here is the missconception around sitelinks I have come across in some accounts.

Sitelinks should not be used as an extension of categories for products, replacing an actual keyword triggering an ad in a different adgroup or campaign. I say this because reading your question I guess (maybe I'm wrong) you are concerned because your sitelinks don't generate clicks.

i.e. if you are advertising phones, you should have different campaign/adgroups for all your handsets in your catalogue, and use sitelinks to add value to your add (free delivery, variety of colours, different features, contract options, discounts, etc.) But you should not use just a campaign targeting "phones" relying on sitelinks to generate clicks for iPhone, Samsung, Blackberry, etc... 
I would have granular adgroups for each handset/category of products;
In addition to that, within your generic top level for "phones" you can also use handsets in the sitelinks

In a nutshell: don't rely on sitelinks to generate traffic. Use them to boost CTR (more real estate) and add value your ads (especially in a competitive market)

As a final note, make sure all your sitelinks have a unique destination URL, also different to the headline, to meet Google's policy, or they will get disapproved.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

On top positions, we only have one title line, one display URL line, and one ad text line without extensions. Why not use the fourth line when eligible? I do not think sitelinks have any obvious negatives unless you cannot come up with decent copies or they link to wrong places.

I found sitelinks are also useful when a keyword is generic and cannot decide which landing page is a good fit for a particular searcher. For example, we can create sitelinks for widget A, B, and C for [widget]. Then the searcher can choose whichever product they are interested in and find the relevant information.

Thanks,

Rion

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi birchlore, I wouldn't worry about asking questions, thats what the community is for & it's good to see members like yourself being active after joining.

I have found the actual sitelinks get a low CTR in comparison to the headline (across every account I have every looked at).

I don't see any downside to this though. You are giving the user the option to go to a diffrerent area of the site BUT the headline should already be pointing them to the most relevant page for their search query. If your sitelink provides them with just that little bit more info, they may click on it instead.

The major benefit that I see is that you can get additional information in front of the user and because the ad gets more space on the page it really boosts the CTR compared to ads that aren't running them (just check the CTR stats in the extensions tab and you'll see how different it is).

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
In my experience, looking at clients of different kinds, sitelink CTR is usually low, around 1%, so 0% CTR for sitelinks after 40 title clicks doesn´t unnormal at all.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi birchlore,

As it was previously mentioned, even if your sitelinks don't drive any clicks you will have more real estate and they will boost your ad CTR.

Another important point to add here is the missconception around sitelinks I have come across in some accounts.

Sitelinks should not be used as an extension of categories for products, replacing an actual keyword triggering an ad in a different adgroup or campaign. I say this because reading your question I guess (maybe I'm wrong) you are concerned because your sitelinks don't generate clicks.

i.e. if you are advertising phones, you should have different campaign/adgroups for all your handsets in your catalogue, and use sitelinks to add value to your add (free delivery, variety of colours, different features, contract options, discounts, etc.) But you should not use just a campaign targeting "phones" relying on sitelinks to generate clicks for iPhone, Samsung, Blackberry, etc... 
I would have granular adgroups for each handset/category of products;
In addition to that, within your generic top level for "phones" you can also use handsets in the sitelinks

In a nutshell: don't rely on sitelinks to generate traffic. Use them to boost CTR (more real estate) and add value your ads (especially in a competitive market)

As a final note, make sure all your sitelinks have a unique destination URL, also different to the headline, to meet Google's policy, or they will get disapproved.