AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Sitelinke extensions

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

What can be the strategy to make most of the sitelink extensions? What if I decide to include some more landing pages of my website as sitelink extensions? Will it affect my existing ad performance?

3 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Sitelinke extensions

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Kapil,

In addition to what Moshe said above, I would also like to add here that including sitelinks with your ads should be such that they add more value to your ad apart from the text which is getting displayed.

Best part in Enahced campaigns is that you can specify ad group level sitelinks also if you want to target some specific pages of your site which is restricted to per ad group.

I compiled a user article last year on sitelinks. You might consider reading it : https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Improved-Sitelinks-Extensions-with-Enhanced-Ca...

Apart from this, I would say that continual experimentation in terms of adding new sitelinks, scheduling your sitelinks for some days of the week, time of the day etc...would help you identify the major beneficial sitelinks. And yes, recent update from Adwords also said that ad extensions and their formats also influence the position of your ad in search results i.e. your ad rank.

My couple of cents!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
The reason to use sitelinks (apart from grabbing more screen real estate!) is to extend your offer to potential visitors - suppose you have a site about fishing (first thing that came to my head - must be telling me something about the weekend....) and a visitor searches for "trout fishing".... this triggers your ad. And there is a sitelink for an offer on fly rods. Maybe this is what your visitor was actually looking for and his search was more generic, or maybe the search was meant to be generic because he wasn't looking for anything in particular - he just likes trout fishing, but now - well, if you've got a sale on fly rods....

Either way you have focused the visitor and brought them to a relevant page that is more likely to convert than the less relevant generic landing page.

Take this further - suppose the visitor searches for "fly fishing rods" - your sitelinks for this campaign could be such things as "Carbon Fiber Rods" or "Pro Fly Rods" - again drilling down to a more relevant page.

Since ads can carry up to 4 sitelinks the total package offers the visitor the option of 5 different landing page options.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kapil Mudholkar
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 13
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Kapil,

I want to throw a snow-ball at this question too "But will it have any impact (positive or negative) on the performance of my existing landing page?"

The click on the sitelink will take your visitor to another landing page than the one you have assigned to the Ad. This happens because the Sitelinks cannot have the same destination URL as the Ad as specified by the policies.

The Ad itself will however record that click as its own because the sitelink was a small part of the Ad.

Let's imagine an example of why an Ad with a sitelink could bring more clicks. Let's say that you advertise a new Tablet and the main Ad takes you to the cheapest version the one with 8 Gb of memory and no 3g.

You could have another 4 sitelinks advertising other variants of that tablet, a variant with 16 Gb , a variant with 32 Gb, a variant with 3g and a variant with GPS also. So suddenly your Ad is no longer about 1 product but about 1+4 so you are giving your client more choices.

------------------------------------------------

Now about : 

My question is whether we can have two landing page in one ad through sitelink extension. And will this affect my existing landing page performance?

Answer : An ad will have only 1 destination URL, but the additional sitelinks will have more destination URLs of their own.

The Ad can appear with or without the sitelinks even if you configure sitelinks, depending on your Ad Rank. If the Ad is displayed in a position lower than 3, it cannot include sitelinks . This is important to understand, only the first 3 positions can include sitelinks and not all the time.

I would also recommend implementing descriptions for sitelinks, as this adds 2 rows of text under each of the sitelinks. You need a really high quality score for the keyword which triggers the Ad in order to display descriptions too.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello;
This is a nice question;
Generally speaking sitelinks make the ad more visible, and increase CTR. Per the site links policy each site link MUST have a different destination URL. You can't have them all linked to the same landing page.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Moshe,

Thanks for your feedback. I am not talking about linking one landing page through different sitelink extensions. My question is whether we can have two landing page in one ad through sitelink extension. And will this affect my existing landing page performance?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Kapil,

In addition to what Moshe said above, I would also like to add here that including sitelinks with your ads should be such that they add more value to your ad apart from the text which is getting displayed.

Best part in Enahced campaigns is that you can specify ad group level sitelinks also if you want to target some specific pages of your site which is restricted to per ad group.

I compiled a user article last year on sitelinks. You might consider reading it : https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Improved-Sitelinks-Extensions-with-Enhanced-Ca...

Apart from this, I would say that continual experimentation in terms of adding new sitelinks, scheduling your sitelinks for some days of the week, time of the day etc...would help you identify the major beneficial sitelinks. And yes, recent update from Adwords also said that ad extensions and their formats also influence the position of your ad in search results i.e. your ad rank.

My couple of cents!

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Well... By clicking on a sitelink a user is directed to a more dedicate/ focused landing page, for the service/ product the user has an interest in.
In Adwords, "performance"  for the most part, means CTR. Once the ad is clicked (either on a sitelink or on the headline) - a clink is registered.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for your feedback. However, my question still remains unanswered. I want to know if I add any extra landing page to my ad through sitelink extension, will it affect performance of my existing landing page?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
The reason to use sitelinks (apart from grabbing more screen real estate!) is to extend your offer to potential visitors - suppose you have a site about fishing (first thing that came to my head - must be telling me something about the weekend....) and a visitor searches for "trout fishing".... this triggers your ad. And there is a sitelink for an offer on fly rods. Maybe this is what your visitor was actually looking for and his search was more generic, or maybe the search was meant to be generic because he wasn't looking for anything in particular - he just likes trout fishing, but now - well, if you've got a sale on fly rods....

Either way you have focused the visitor and brought them to a relevant page that is more likely to convert than the less relevant generic landing page.

Take this further - suppose the visitor searches for "fly fishing rods" - your sitelinks for this campaign could be such things as "Carbon Fiber Rods" or "Pro Fly Rods" - again drilling down to a more relevant page.

Since ads can carry up to 4 sitelinks the total package offers the visitor the option of 5 different landing page options.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Moshe,

Will the click on the sitelink extension instead my existing landing page be considered as a click within the ad group? Or will it consider separately?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Stickleback,

But will it have any impact (positive or negative) on the performance of my existing landing page?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Kapil,

In terms of search campaign, quality of your landing page comes into picture when the user clicks on it. So for different landing page or you can say the sitelinks, the Quality score will be calculated differently based on the click when user takes that action. And of course CTR is the core component here.

Pankaj