Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Sitelink extensions: can I use the same destination URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Can I use the same destination URL in the different sitelinks for example if I want to send the traffic to the same landing page then can I have the same destination url in the sitelinks as I have in the Ad?

best

Ali 

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rakesh Kumar (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Sitelink extensions: can I use the same destination URL

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

No, your sitelinks cannot point to the same URL as the Ad. It is mentioned in the Sitelinks Policy :

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/1054210

Destination URL requirements

• Destination URL length: The destination URL of your links must be 2048 characters or fewer.
  • No download links: Clicking a sitelink should never initiate a download.
  • Each sitelink must point to different content: We don't allow two or more sitelinks in the same campaign or ad group to point to the same landing page or the same content. We also don't allow sitelinks that direct to the same landing page as the ad's destination URL. Here are some guidelines to help you make sure that your sitelinks point to different content:
    • Tabs on the same page count as the same page.
    • Links to anchors or fragment identifiers on the same page count as the same page.
    • We recommend that 80% of the content on a page be unique for that page to count as a different page. "

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Adrian

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Adrian,

While I totally agree with you on this, there is a way where you can target the same Destination URL in different/multiple Sitelinks.

Basically, all you need to do is setup your destination URL for say your 4 Sitelinks as follows:

mydomain.com/?sitelink=1
mydomain.com/?sitelink=2
mydomain.com/?sitelink=3
mydomain.com/?sitelink=4

AdWords reads these as 4 different URL's and allows you to upload the same without any errors. I have known people who have ran sitelinks using this strategy and it has worked fine for them.

I understand that this a very cheeky way of doing this but it is something that helps exploit a very simple loop hole in AdWords coding and functioning.

Do give it a try and see if it works for you.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

So you are saying that AdWords only cares about the text of the Destination URL that you enter in the sitelink to be different , not the actual Landing Page after all redirects from a click on that sitelink URL.

It could be true, I never tried it.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
By the looks of it, yes. I never got a chance to implement and test this myself but I am sure this is working for a few colleagues of mine. Let me test this out in my accounts and I will let you know the results.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Hi Adrian,

Did you manage to try this out in your accounts? Some insight on it would be great!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,