AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Sitelink Extensions - Give your customers more information at first glance.

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hello folks,

Thanks to all of you who participated in the last week topic on Ad Extensions; this week, I’d like to discuss with you how you can benefit from using Sitelink Extensions.

Sitelink Extensions are a handy way of showing your customers subheadings beneath your text ad that will help them navigate your site quickly and easily. If your site has several sections that you should consider using sitelink extensions.

In the 90 days after Nationwide Insurance implemented sitelinks in their brand campaigns they experienced a 73% CTR boost and a 60% conversion boost. They used sitelinks to work towards three different goals, including: acquiring new customers, directing users to brick-and-mortar agent locations, and reinforcing their branding initiatives. By using sitelinks such as “Get a Quote”, “Agent Locator”, and “World’s Greatest Spokesman” each of these goals was made visible when customers saw their ads.

You don’t have to own a large business to use sitelinks. If you own a bookshop for example and sell all different kinds of books, you could have a Sitelink Extension for the Travel section of your site, the Cookery section, the Fiction section, etc. Through making the valuable content on your site more visible and accessible, sitelinks can help shorten your customer’s steps from click to conversion and improve the profitability of your search ads.

If you’ve already used sitelinks, share with me, what was your experience. I’m also happy to answer any questions you have on this topic.

A.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Sitelink Extensions - Give your customers more information at first glance.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Being in the shoes of a user using Google to find information about something, I really like when advertisers use sitelinks to add additional relevant information about their product or business.

For example, when they add information such as "Free delivery" or "30 years in the business", of course also linking to relevant pages on those topics on their website. I am greatful for this information, and that by itself (not to mention what a nice attention grabber it is) makes me more prone to click their ad/sitelink, increasing their ctr. When I have tried similar methods with my own (clients) accounts is has usually been succesful.

Sometimes one sees advertisers using sitelinks in a way I doubt is clever. Say for example I search for "Blue suede shoes" and the ad clearly states the company advertising have just that and the display url makes me think I gonna land on a page dedicated to blue suede shoes. And then they also add sitelinks to other sections of their website, namely the ones with red, green, pink or green suede shoes. Nice to know perhaps, but my search query clearly stated what colour I wanted: blue. Why try to get the user "off track"?

Probably those sitelinks are doing a good job in some way (taking space and increasing ctr), but I´d guess it would it be better to use that space for information about their company instead (example above). 

What do you say?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Some links that seem to be not so clever, could be triggered by broad match terms that may include red, green, or pink. Yes they should have different ads for these terms, but it is possible that they are targeting blue because it is searched more often and using the sitelinks to expand their reach. I do think company information with relevant links are much more effective.

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi there, 

These are some really interesting ideas!

Currently sitelinks don't have any requirements in terms of content (although all sitelinks must comply with our advertising policies), so an advertiser could advertise the other types of suede shoes they offer in their sitelinks, rather than giving business details like you mentioned. As sitelinks apply to all ads in a campaign it could be the case that a "Pink Suede Shoes" sitelink showed at the same time as a "Blue Suede Shoes" ad text.

At the moment I don't think there are any plans to change this (as the current situation gives advertisers the most freedom), but these are some interesting thoughts and I'll take this feedback on to our policy teams to take into account. 

Thanks for posting! 

A. 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I for one wouldn't create a search campaign without them. If not for anything else, then at least for the extra ad space I'm gaining and therefore extra attention.

Of course, as with most advertisers, I clearly see much higher CTR when the ads were shown with sitelinks as opposed to the aggregate CTR, but it's also clear to me that correlation does not imply causation. When your sitelinks show, your ad position is usually good, and CTR is most of the times higher in such positions.

The real test would be to run the same campaign with and without sitelinks and see how the presence or absence of sitelinks affects the CTR. But I have not performed that experiment.

What I do though, is track my sitelinks and I hope to be able to find the time to see, in the campaigns with the highest traffic, which sitelinks get me clicks and which don't, and try to replace those that do not produce as many clicks as the others. However, I'm not sure if the benefit will exceed the effort.

It would be great though, Alys, if we'd have impressions/CTR reports at sitelink level Smiley Happy. That would really enable us to see, very quickly, which extension is performing and which isn't, and we'd be able to experiment with text.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi AdWiser, 

Thanks for the post. You can see the CTR and number of impressions for your sitelinks by going to the Ad Extensions tab. These metrics show you the CTR, clicks, impressions, etc, for your ads when shown with sitelinks beneath them. If you are looking to compare how different sitelinks have performed when they have appeared with your ads, you could try comparing these metrics perhaps?

You could also segment the data on your Sitelinks tab by Click Type, which would allow you to compare the number of times people clicked on the sitelinks themselves rather than clicking on the ad text, when your sitelinks were shown. This could give you an idea of which set of sitelinks were more popular when comparing different sitelinks across different campaigns.

A. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Thanks, Alys.

I'm fully aware of the current possibilities, and I even track the clicks of each link (URL) in a sitelink extension. What's missing though is a comparison between the maximum 10 bits of text and their URLs.

If my URL / sitelinks texts set for a sitelink is a, b, c, d, e, I have no idea when a, c, and e were shown, or when b and d have been shown. Of course, a might get me 100 clicks, and e only 10, but how can I tell how often was a shown as opposed to e? Impressions and clicks are at "set" level, not at link level. At least for the time being.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

That is true, there isn't data broken down by each individual sitelink yet, as they are taken as a whole, but hopefully this is something that we may be able to implement in the future. We'll certainly take it on board as feedback! Thanks!

A, 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

if you want to see clicks per sitelink then you can always manually tag your destination URLs and review the data in Google Analytics Smiley Happy

i.e. website.com?campaign=campaign&sitelink=bluewidgets

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Dear Kim.

I already do Smiley Happy. It's the impression, at sitelink URL level, that I'm yearning for Smiley Happy. But Alys will take care of that Smiley Happy.

Why did you put Webiste away? Why? Smiley Happy