AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Sitelink Extension Performance

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

Sitelink Extension Performance

This may be a 'how long is a piece of string' question!

I'm reviewing the sitelink extensions on an existing search ad account I've just started managing. I have a feeling that the impressions for their sitelink extensions is quite low compared to overall impressions.

For example, for one campaign, sitelinks are being shown on 47% of all impressions. Another was 46%.

CTR for these ads is 50% higher than for those without, which is pretty good so I would like to try to optimise them.

Do any of you have your own benchmark for this - or do you measure sitelink performance in other ways?

Many thanks, Dids

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Sitelink Extension Performance

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Didserella,

You are getting 47% probably because Sitelinks only show when your ads appearing above search results and You ad rank is fluctuating.

I' m not totally how to measure sitelink performance You may check this
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454049?hl=en

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Yes, it is normal that the impersseion for sitelink extension is lower than the overall impression as your ads won't always show sitelinks. Also, when your ads show sitelinks, the format that appears could vary. For instance, anywhere from two to six sitelinks may appear on desktop ads. Google consider several factors when determining what types of sitelinks we'll display with your ad, and whether we'll display sitelinks at all. Check the following URL to know more why your sitelinks may not be appearing with your ads:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704420#sitelinks

Finally I would like to share with you some optimization tips for sitelink extension:

#Treat your sitelink's landing page like your treat your ad's landing page, it should be relevant, original, useful content ...blah, blah. Learn more about how to optimize landing page.

#Always Test different link names and description for you sitelink. ( such you are doing with your ads)

#Try to use some specific sitelinks for some certain ad groups (sitelink is available across the campaign and ad groups as well)

#If you are targeting mobile, Try to use mobile-optimized sitelinks.

#Finally your ads can show from two to six sitelinks, so try to get the most out of that by using many sitelinks with your ad.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Didserella,

The reason why your sitelinks have seen lower impressions is because Sitelinks do not always show up with your ads on the SERP. Google has an internal logic which decides when to show your sitelinks with your ad.

Also, one of the most important criterias for a sitelinks to show up with your ad is that it has to be ranked in the top 4 - 5 ads and above the search listings (and not to the right). So if you ads show up on the RHS on the SERP your sitelinks would not show up there.

As for measuring sitelink performance, why don't you manually tag your sitelink URL to say which sitelink got you the lead ( if this is a lead gen campaign) and then if you have a CRM check the same there. And if traffic is your KPI then a improved CTR of 50% sounds pretty cool.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your detailed replies Kandarp, Ahmed and Shashank!

Definitely some things I hadn't considered there.

In terms of the ad position, for one campaign the average is 1.6, and for the other it's 2.0. so they should presumably not have been negative factors.

However, some of their sitelinks are too long and none of them particularly well formed and none have descriptions. I will make some changes and do some testing.

Thanks again!

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Glad to be of help!

Happy Testing! And please do let us know the results!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello ShashangSingh,

Could you, please, elaborate on how to tag sitelink URLs manually? Do you also intend watching for conversions on Google Analytics? Is there a need to set up attribution?

Thanks!

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Hi Azar,

Sure, I ll try my best to help you out on this.

There are a couple of ways of doing this; for one of my accounts I have manually tagged my sitelinks with UTM and some additional static parameters to identify my sitelinks from other URL's in GA.

Here is an example of what I have done:

http://www.test.com/testurl1?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=testcampaign&origin=sitelink&sitelinkname=sitelink1

Essentially, what this will do is identify my sitelink as a different URL and give me data on its performance from a SEM perspective. Basically, you are getting only SEM specific data as GA is reading this URL as a different URL altogether.

You can also set up your CRM/LMS to track this URL level data and use the data there to optimize your sitelinks

I had used this method to identify the sitelink that was performing the best and had optimized my accounts accordingly. 

Another way of doing this would be to use ValueTrack parameters as suggested by Google. You can read more about it here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375447?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,