Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Site Link Extensions or Top Page Ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Community -

Daily reader first time poster. I really enjoy the effort of the community and speed to which posts are answered.

Now to my question. I was browsing along checking my ad position this morning and noticed something on a top of page positioned ad I have with sitelink extensions. I did a generic search to find something similar to my ad in question. 

The 1st ad displayed notice how the URL / Domain at the end on the top line is lower case. Then on the 2nd ad the URL is title case (even though it's one word best example I could grab quickly). I searched all my ads and under the site extensions and I do not see anywhere where I have typed a URL except in my destination URLs (none of which go to the URL / Domain displayed). Basically the title case examples to me look a lot better and I don't want that to be lacking in my ads. Where is it pulling that URL / Domain from so I can correct the lower case-ing.

Thanks in advance.

PPCNewGuy

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Site Link Extensions or Top Page Ads

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Is that what you were looking for?

I

When shown in the headline, the display URL will be separated from the rest of the text by a vertical bar and will include only the domain, not the “www.” prefix or any subdirectories. Your display URL will also continue to appear as normal below the description line. Of course, if the headline already contains your domain, we won’t display it again. Finally, it’s possible for the display URL domain to appear in addition to a description line that is promoted to the headline, as long as the resulting headline is sixty-eight characters or less.

http://adwords.blogspot.co.il/2011/05/showing-display-url-domain-in-headline.html

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey PPCNewGuy,

Welcome to the community!

From my understanding, the domain displayed in the headline is pulled from your ad's diplay URL:

"...we’ll automatically show your display URL domain in the headline for select top placement ads on Google."

- Google

Even though AdWords will not capitalize letters in the green display URL, which they used to do, it might be worth capatilizing your display URL when adding to ads in order to see if this has an effect when the display URL is pulled into the headline.

Although, my guess is that Target is manually inserting their brand name into the Headline or into a description line (as you can see it is in the description line), which they are then able to capitalize and Google pulls into the headline. Also, Google stats:

"...if the headline already contains your domain, we won’t display it again."

- Google

Secondly, if you count the number of characters in their ad, they are well under the max amount of 95 (25 headline, 35 1st description, 35 2nd description), which makes me further think they added Target.com manually into their ad.

Just my guess, no idea if this is what's happening. Any additional thoughts from the community???

Thanks,

BI

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

I am not sure (Just a Guess) but i think it's coz of Extended Headline feature lunched by Google. We need to end description line 1 by full stop, question mark, exclaimation mark etc. 

Extended headlines only allow in top three ranked adcopies. When the description line 1 doesnot end with full stop, exclaimation mark etc. but acheive high ad rank then competitor's it shows domain name in headline.

Not Sure. Woman Mad

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Is that what you were looking for?

I

When shown in the headline, the display URL will be separated from the rest of the text by a vertical bar and will include only the domain, not the “www.” prefix or any subdirectories. Your display URL will also continue to appear as normal below the description line. Of course, if the headline already contains your domain, we won’t display it again. Finally, it’s possible for the display URL domain to appear in addition to a description line that is promoted to the headline, as long as the resulting headline is sixty-eight characters or less.

http://adwords.blogspot.co.il/2011/05/showing-display-url-domain-in-headline.html

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Community -

Thanks for the direction on this. I think you guys hit the nail on the head. Again thanks and keep up the great work!!

PPCNewGuy